Is there some trick to pulling EGR?

BUICKpowerSIX

I tried pulling my egr to give it a cleaning cause its stuck open. I was able to twist it but could not pull the darn thing out. tried prying it up but that barely moved it out. Is there a trick to getting it out or am I just not using enough elbow grease?

Twist it, put a Lady's foot bar under it, and remove. Your gonna be surprised at what you see when you get it out. Don't waste your time cleaning it, delete the cooler and it will never be an issue again. Gary

Once the two bolts are removed, there is nothing actually holding it in place. You just need to pry it up.

As Wrongway said, cleaning it is only a temporary fix.

What if you are in Comyfornia? What is the fix you guys have for those people?

Do you want us to run your company as well?

If you are in CA, then you can clean it, weld it closed, replace it, disconnect it, block it off, delete it, turn it off, etc.

What if you are in Comyfornia? What is the fix you guys have for those people?

There is an actuall diverter kit with a ford part number to keep the excess oil from accumulating on the valve.

Yep mine was stuck too, gotta give it some good force... I actually broke a screwdriver I was using to pry it out...

What I do to get them out is stick a heel bar on the edge of it and use it to twist the valve till the tabs are hanging out in the air. Then put a heel bar under each side tab and it will pop right up.

I just use a pair of smaller prybars. Rotate the valve a little and then kinda work the bars sideways and once the first o-ring is free it comes out pretty easy.

I think that Lady's foot bar under it would work absolutely perfectly though, not sure why I never thought of that before.

I was looking at river city diesel's egr delete.
What do you guys think of it?
What is partial removal of the intake manifold?
How much time am I looking to invest on blocking the cooler?
What is involved in changing the oil cooler? Is it worth it?

I know its lots of questions. Thanks

Thanks for the help on the egr valve.

I was looking at river city diesel's egr delete.
What do you guys think of it?
What is partial removal of the intake manifold?
How much time am I looking to invest on blocking the cooler?
What is involved in changing the oil cooler? Is it worth it?

I know its lots of questions. Thanks

Thanks for the help on the egr valve.

The EGR Delete is the same as quite a few other companies out there. It gets ride of the cooler and the egr. Which is good.

Partial removal of the intake manifold is complete crap :umno:. All kits except Adam's could say that. The intake manifold has to be complete unbolted, alternator and everything in order to lift the manifold up to get the egr cooler out. So, that is crap!

The oil cooler is very easy to change out but you will need to remove the intake manifold (unless you want to unbolt it and slide it forward and out of the way, then you will only be partially removing it because it says in the engine compartment :hehe:.) Depending on how many miles are on your truck, it may be a good idea to spend the $350 or so to change out the cooler. The other thing you should consider is a coolant filter.

Thanks. Got 110k on the truck so oil cooler probably won be a bad idea.

Is it a pain in the butt to remove the intake manifold. Man so much easier to work on my grand national than this truck.

To remove the intake manifold you will need to remove:

Intake tubing
Cold and hot side intercooler tubing
Turbo
Injector working harness
Alternator (for most people, the belt is probably the hardest part of this while process)
Oil/Fuel fitler housing
Fuel lines if you still have the hard line
2 bolts for the fan shroud
Then the intake manifold bolts
EGR cooler bolts
EGR cooler v-band clamp,

I think that is about it on a stock truck

Dang and this whole time I thought it was a fairly easy installation. I mean im sure its easy just gotta pull half the engine bay out lol.

If you are in CA, then you can clean it, weld it closed, replace it, disconnect it, block it off, delete it, turn it off, etc.

I wouldn't want you to run it with that advice. Since with that answer you would buy them a new manifold and return it to stock on your own dollar when the bureau of automotive repair gets a hold of you when they fail the emissions test and tell them who did the "repair".

There is an actuall diverter kit with a ford part number to keep the excess oil from accumulating on the valve.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for do you have the part number?

I used a $5 seal puller to pry up on it. Worked great.

Here is what it looked like:
DSC00827.jpg

DSC00832.jpg

I cleaned it off and put it back in lol:
DSC00834.jpg

WTF man! I didn't see anything deserving an answer like that!

Lost my future business... Thanks for showing this side Before I had a chance to buy anything.

Lost my future business... Thanks for showing this side Before I had a chance to buy anything.

The above is the "1st Amendment". The "Freedom Of Speech". "WTF"= If anyone tries to "Limit"that written "Freedom". They might become "Limited".

I’m sorry if that offended you. I have a hard time with a shop that works on 6.0’s asking consumers how to do something (especially something as common as this) and then turning around and charging the same consumers. It would be different if this was a new engine or a shop that doesn’t work on 6.0 but once and a blue moon. But it isn’t, they are a shop that is making their living by charging people to fix their stuff and here they are asking a “how do I do this” question.

I wouldn't want you to run it with that advice. Since with that answer you would buy them a new manifold and return it to stock on your own dollar when the bureau of automotive repair gets a hold of you when they fail the emissions test and tell them who did the "repair".

Who said anything about an intake manifold? If you look above, I do mention cleaning, which is an appropriate emissions fix.

Are you sure you want to start throwing the Bureau of Automotive Repair in this? I’m sure they would love to sit down with you guys in California and see what all you sell. I mean, you guys don’t sell anything that isn’t CARB approved right?