Is this a billet or cast cam?

takedown95

I bought this cam from a big name shop in the sled pulling world and I don't have a specific reason not to believe it's billet. The only thing that is throwing me is the rough finish between the lobes. The first pic is of the cam I bought. The next is a pic of a known billet cam next to a stock cast one. Anybody built cams or have seen a billet cam that is rough like that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 0
Known billet next to stock cast cam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
Definitely a weird finish. I wonder if you could compare the weights of all three and see if there is notable difference between the two billet ones.

My haisley billet cam has the same look... I can take a pic when I get home

I would say it is billet. It looks like they ruff machined it and sent it to heat treat which gave it that color. Then after heat treat finish ground the lobes.

I think a lot has to do with who ground it also. The numbers on the end of the cam start with a "V"?

Thanks for the replies guys. Not sure on the V. I dropped it off at my builder today. Several folks have confirmed between machining, heat treating or coating that finish is common on billet cams.

8620 cores are copper plated to prevent that area from being hardened during heat treat so core doesn't become brittle