Is this a CP3 problem?

calltrex

was driving home and i couldnt drive over 50km/h

it felt like it was running out of gas then i would have to let off the gas and it would run fine then try to go up again slowly and does same thing.

its like if i put it on any load it will die.

its cold out today so that probably makes it worse if my cp3 is slowly dying

wish i had a rail gauge then i would have known forsure.

so if it is the cp3:

do i get a low mile used cp3?
do i put the arson kit on my pump now? would that work?

any ideas welcome

check the easy stuff first, fuel filter, when changing this you can check the function of your lift pump.... keep the lid loose to prime the filter using the air dog pump, key in run position till the filter overflows. If it does not overflow, your pump is toast, and will kill the cp3 in short order.

Last edited:
Plugged trans filter has a wierd affect like that! If the truck wasn't at operating temp frozen fuel filter element would do it that's a possibility. Get a guage! for rail and supply to the cp3.

Last edited:
check the easy stuff first, fuel filter, when changing this you can check the function of your lift pump.... keep the lid loose to prime the filter using the air dog pump, key in run position till the filter overflows. If it does not overflow, your pump is toast, and will kill the cp3 in short order.

my airdog goes straight to the cp3. i can see it pumping back to my fill line when i took the gas cap off. pump seems to be working fine

i actually bought a rail gauge a few days ago but it wont be here for a week or so. so thats no good

so this morning a shop put a scanner on and we went for a ride. high pressure was good when the engine falls on its face..

then took my edge computer off to make sure it wasnt that. still did it

then bought a new fuel pressure gauge to make sure its getting to the CP3 good. 15-20psi steady.

when i was driving home i could kind of hear a blow out and it dies right after. so it may be from the pressure building up and then blowing out the hole or leak. would explain that it would run fine if ur not stepping on it. not much boost.

when i got home i ripped the whole intake system apart to check all the rubber hoses, clamps. 1 is questionable. looks like its leaking with threads like that but u cant physically see a hole by stretching that crack

so ill get a new one tomorrow and see what happens.

Attachments

• turboouthoseb.jpg
    turboouthoseb.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
Probably a bad intercooler! I think the 03 was a plastic tank. Check the sides if nothing apparent seal one end and put shop air in the other.

just a update. I put a new hose on the turbo. Tested it for a bit. Not dying anymore on acceleration

that hose must have been leaked when it got to a certain pressure or boost

there ya go, nice an inexpensive fix for a change... I'll take one like that anyday. no shipping, not much involved, no oily mess, no fuel mess.