Issue with my 6.0... already!

thanks for the link! but i have to take back everything i said about the truck running good... we took it out to see if i got the exhaust leak fixed, but it ran horrible! then i got mad and ran it hard, got back to the house and coolant started shooting out the degas bottle! so i shut it down and walked away... dont know where to go from here... it ran great 2 days ago, now its back to being worse than before..

while i was driving the truck, of course it had a major lack of power. it started "coughing" and everytime it would do that, it would blow black smoke. it was doing this so bad it hardly had any power to get down the road. when i pulled back up to the house, i put it in park and was revving it up, around 3000 rpms or so and it was puking smoke out like it was hooked to a sled! it turned my white work truck black! what would cause this to happen?

Welcome to the world of the 6.0. I have had my truck to 3 different dealers, a total of 7 times between them and the truck still pukes coolant. It puked coolant the very first time I drove it.

lol ya it puked it alright! looked like a geyser under the hood! but i think its because i had taken the hose off the bottle to get it out of my way to work on the turbo and i guess i didnt realize how much fluid came out, so i think thats the reason it puked, it actually got hot.. but i really wonder why it did a 180, going from running great one day to totally like azz the next..

Maybe you should just drive the Cummins?

J/K Ford boys don't get all mad at me.

I know on the D-Maxes we have a issue with the Powersteering pump lines rubbin a hole in the intercooler pipes. Usually resulting in alot of black smoke

lol, ya thats what im having to do now.. just need to get the ferd goin so i can give the cummins a little r&r

well, i recieved an SCT SF3 today, and i went and played with it a little bit. it threw a MAF voltage too low DTC. i ran dataloggin on it for a few minutes, but i dont know what im looking at lol.. i did notice that i was running around 28lbs of boost, and when it would start "coughing" the boost wouldnt change much.. voltage was about 14volts. IAT was around 100 degrees. what else can i look at while doing these tests?

ok thanks Doug! ill call you when i get up in the morning..

ok, finally got a boost gauge in the truck. its an autometer 30lb gauge. i loaded the race tune from Dfuser, and took it out for a spin. the truck has good low end power, but falls flat on its face on top end.. watching the boost gauge, it would climb really fast. so after the engine warmed up, i layed into it a little, and wap, all the way past 30lbs! and it was still climbing, so i let off.. egts have been running high too.. depending on load, anywhere from 1250 to 1400.. also, i dunno if its the same with Powerstrokes, but i know with Cummins, when you are in park and you romp on it, you shouldnt be building any boost. this truck will build up a little past 10lbs. is this normal, or do i have a boost leak somewhere?

Yes the 6.0 will build some boost when in park at WOT and even at high idle my truck makes about 3lbs of boost according to the guage. It sounds like you have the typical 6.0 turbo issues that plague these trucks it took the dealer a month before they put a new one on my truck and fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Yooper, what issues were you having with yours?

It would surge while cruising and the vanes would stick causing it show it building boost but it wasnt and I couldnt get the truck to turn RPMs above 2800. They replaced everything on the turbo except the housing and impelllers before they changed the turbo and solved the problem. The other thing that baffeled them is the tech could get the turbo to cycle in the shop with the computer but once I took it on the road it was back to running crappy.

did it have a lot of get-up-and- go up to a certain point, then it kind of levelled out and no matter how much you mashed on the go pedal, it wouldnt go anymore? thats what mine seems to be doing now. it will spin the 39s, but i get to a certain point, then it plateaus out and sounds like its being choked out really bad, and then thats when it starts its "coughing" bit...

Back