Jacks and stands

bajamama

Hubby wants a set for the 250. The floor jack and stands he has now are heavy enough not tall enough. I can google whatever but I want some real life experience. The only thing I know is the old red hy-lift. Worked great on teh grandparent tractors. Anything new and improved?

Floor jacks are in the relm of "you get what you pay for". Local farm supply stores often have a "2 ton" jack for 20 bucks. (I wouldn't trust them under my truck)
I would look into a quality 3 1/2 ton floor jack. (OTC, OTC's Stinger line...cheaper but still a decent Jack, Napa makes some decent units, and there are others out there as well) :)
Quality jack stands are made by the same companies listed above. When it comes to jack stands though, there really isn't much to them. I have a few sets that are 4 ton and another set of 12 ton. Nothing fancy, but not garbage either....

Last edited:
we have 6 that are good stands but not tall enough. We have a Sears 3 ton SUV jack but doesn't get it up high enough. We don't have it lifted or big tires so when changing the oil he can't get it up high enough to get a big enought bucket under it. At least I think that what he's complaining about.

The other problem it the utility bed. Can't put a hi-lft under that it would crater it or the cheezy bumper that was included. Thinking about a good bottle jack . Found one that as a 17" height. AC Delco for $50 at Atwoods. THey did not have any stands that went about 13-14". Thinking about tractor supply. Or a wholesale tool place but not sure on the quality there and I odn't want the 250 on top of him.

my shop has two sets of std. car jack stands, two sets of the oversize, large jackstands, got them at tractor supply and then a pair of Hi-Lift 60" jacks... and I keep a 48" Hi-Lift in the truck.

Look for the oversized jack stands, quite a bit taller than std. jack stands. Should be able to get them at AutoZone, Tractor Supply or maybe O'Reillys.

look at the places above, and northern tool as well. i know last time i was in there (a few days ago) they had some 12 ton stands that went to something like 29+" ..... 32 maybe? dont remember the exact specs.
of course, if its not lifted im not sure they would fit under it without getting it a good bit off the ground (been a while since ive had a non-lifted truck)

hmm Brad, I may check those out as well. Don't remember how tall my stands are.

I'm planning on custom buildin some Jack Stands.... and I've an ACDelco SUV/Truck Jack that I bought from O'Reilly that has a max lift height of 21.5" and it lifts mine on 35's just fine, and its sturdy. I've also got some old Sears 2.5ton jack stands that do fine too...... I'm gonna buuild the custom one for my Explorer (b/c its on 38.5) and I often remove the axle to do work and have to have frame stands... but you can build jacks as strong or weak as you want, and at whatever height you want as long as you can do it or have somebody that can do it for you. just an idea though.

--Ryan

I have (4) 12 ton jack stand and they reach the frame with my lift. As for the floor jack I have blown at least (2) 2 1.2 ton jacks. I know have a 4 ton jack