Just bought a D80 for the ford, looking for building advice.

Sonic_Superduty

Common RAILHER!!
as it says. I am replacing the old sterling with a 03 ford d80. as the truck sits right now it still retains the 456 gears with detroits f&r, I never took them our after I took the lift off... Im thinking about going down to 430`s would this be a bad choice with 33`s?? Im probably going to run duals next year so I dont think a little gear would hurt, the 80 has 410`s in it right now. next would you spool it or lock it??? and should I be concerned about shafts? or will the stockers do? I should just put dana gears back in since that what I see most of right??? thanks Lance

He has an auto, 2.6 turbo, Should be between 600 and 700hp next year

weld it, stock shafts work, and dana gears enough said

5.13 gears and weld the diff,should easy hold up to 600-700 hp,unless you bounce a lot.scs and hmr make better axles

the ford axles are stronger factory vs factory dodge, ive never broke one and until recentley bean with his fummins has never broke one

Gearing will depend on what rpms you will be able to run. Gear it to where you can get into your peak power in 1:1 gear within your rpms. run only Dana gears. You should be ok with stock shafts, i went 3 years on mine and just started snapping them at 950hp.

I should have a new option for 300m shafts in a month or so after they make mine. Should be quite a bit cheaper then teh other options out there.

1:1, interesting. Is that because it gives you more gearing options for different tracks or do you see a difference in torque multiplication with all of it being done in the rear or because of stress in the tranny?

not to high jack, but whats it take to convert a ford drw axle to srw..i just picked up a ford d80 for 100$ and wana make it an srw for my 05...ive seen modded hubs with a spacer so u can run the stock shafts......but that sticks out too far to run center caps on my rims.....am i just guna have to get it narrowed and new shafts or can i run those hubs and get new shafts......?

not to high jack, but whats it take to convert a ford drw axle to srw..i just picked up a ford d80 for 100$ and wana make it an srw for my 05...ive seen modded hubs with a spacer so u can run the stock shafts......but that sticks out too far to run center caps on my rims.....am i just guna have to get it narrowed and new shafts or can i run those hubs and get new shafts......?

You can run it exactly the way it is it will just stick out 2" on each side more then the front.

yaaaa ill have to see how that works for street driving....its my dd..maybe some fender flares on the back will be ok

We have it on my brothers race truck and its not bad, barely noticeable but it does make the tires come out a bit.

here a pic of mine with 10 in rims

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 34
Weld up the spider gears instead of buying a locker or spool. As for gear ratio, I say run either a 4.30:1 or 4.56:1 setup. The Dana brand gears are plenty strong for what you want to do.

Scott

don't the ford d80's have a smaller shaft on the pinion than the dodge d80?