Just wondering

Runninlean

Say When racing
So if a car breaks the beams in qualifying but backs back out to the pits he still qualifies for the ladder does he not?

I only ask because I was just talking about the race and it dawned on me that I ran the #2 qualifier in the first rnd of eliminations. I know one other truck broke the beams and backed out to return to the pits. Does that not make him the slowest qualifier? Rob had the slowest qualifying et would that not have made him second slowest qualifier?

Not a complaint by any means just trying to make sure I understand. It really would have not mattered who I ran since I broke.

We've seen some crazy ladders before, and it happened again in Texas in super street where number 1 and number 2 qual. were on the same side of the ladder. This happened in the 2010 world finals with 1 and 2 (seth and I) in pro street being on the same side.

I have talked to everyone, but appears the compu-link (or what ever they use) automatically creates the ladder. In Texas, they said the first round bye changes everything. I still don't agree with it.

I've seen some occasional wacky ladders come out of the Compulink system. Not sure if it is written anywhere, but as I understand it the rules in a "professional" style qualified ladder are as follows:
#1 races the slowest qualifier, or gets the 1st round bye if there is one
#1 and #2 should be on opposite sides of the ladder
#1 should have the first opportunity for a bye on the ladder

I think there are a few glitches in the Compulink software that sets those up.

I've seen some occasional wacky ladders come out of the Compulink system. Not sure if it is written anywhere, but as I understand it the rules in a "professional" style qualified ladder are as follows:
#1 races the slowest qualifier, or gets the 1st round bye if there is one
#1 and #2 should be on opposite sides of the ladder
#1 should have the first opportunity for a bye on the ladder

I think there are a few glitches in the Compulink software that sets those up.

I agree, but have seen it twice now where it is not the case, world finals being one of them. I really think this should be ironed out before a major event. It's surely not hard to ladder a field the size we are talking about.

I know the NHRDA has a lot going on during an event and relies on the track staff to ladder us, but if it's wrong, we as racers should step in and agree to a proper ladder.

I agree, but have seen it twice now where it is not the case, world finals being one of them. I really think this should be ironed out before a major event. It's surely not hard to ladder a field the size we are talking about.

I know the NHRDA has a lot going on during an event and relies on the track staff to ladder us, but if it's wrong, we as racers should step in and agree to a proper ladder.

Totally agree if you guys see something wrong such as that it should be brought up to our attention. We should catch it but things do happen and yes you are correct it is not hard to write a ladder but it is way nicer when the computer spits it out.

If we are over 16 we usually random pair till we get down to 16 or less as we dont really want to try to ladder 25 trucks.

I will bring this up to JJ and get an answer from him. I know he is out on the road for NHRA but I will talk to him on friday.

Bottom line our sport is blowing past the grass roots level and we need to be more professional.

Thanks
Randy

Thanks Randy, if you could show him the Super Street ladder from Texas and if possible the Pro street Ladder from 2010 world finals. These are two that the computers did, so if correct, I'd love to hear why/how the computer set it up that way.

I agree, I was told the reason in Texas, but it still doesn't make any sense to me. The two quickest trucks should be on opposite sides of the ladder in any case. It is not fair for them to be on the same side of the ladder and eliminate one another and have a slower truck make it to the finals if everything else goes smooth, (i.e. no break downs, good rt's and 60' by all racers etc.). Slower trucks win many of the races do to breakage of the quicker trucks or driver error of the quicker trucks. That's fair, laddering the two quickest qualifiers in the same bracket is not.

I was referring to the PS ladder at Texas I had no idea about the SS issues.

I believe the SS Ladder had Eric Stelly (#2) and myself (#1) on the same side of the ladder. Explaination was I had a bye so it changed things. This makes no sense to me. Number 1 on one side and gets a bye on that side of the ladder if there are odd number of trucks, number 2 on the top of the other side.

Having the two top trucks run in the finals would make for better TV and better viewing for the spectators IMHO.

As Randy stated, now that it is out there it will be addressed if needed.

Last edited:
Back