KDP really got me.

kalder

Kevin Alder
Well I got bit by the dowel pin about a year ago. Didn't have the time to fix it. So I just bubble gummed the crack in the timing case with silicone until I could tear into it. Figuring the worst has happened.

Fast forward to two months ago. Cruising down the highway, and I get a whiff of oil. Checked the gauges everything is fine, except my pyro is at 1200. WTF!? For the conditions, I should be at 850 - 900. So I give it a little throttle and notice it's missing bad. So I pull over and pop the hood. There is oil everywhere! Puking out of the dipstick and blowby.

Fast forward again to today. Tear it down to find #6 scored. Upon further inspection, found half of a bolt boss (part of timing case) floating around inside the timing case. And found an aluminum shaving plugging the #6 piston nozzle.

Moral: Take care of the KDP!

Im very glad I got mine fixed last month I couldn't afford something like this to happen.

FYI, way easier to pull the engine with the cab off.
This was my first out the front. Also my last.
I worked at a dealership and had the cabs off dozens of times for engine jobs.
Out the front sucks.

And here I thought only trucks like my 6.0L PSD Ford need the cab pulledLOL. I alway hear how Dodges with Cummins have tons of under hood room...I always think "ya maybe if you got midgets working in there", haha.

But seriously, that sucks man. Sorry it happened. Good luck getting everthing back in tip top shape brotha.

just got mine back from the shop after a KDP catastrophe. You've got my sympathy. Big time. Just remember, its already gonna be apart, now's the time to upgrade all the internals...

At least that's why my repair bill kept growing so fast

No way I'd ever pull the cab for a cummins/dodge engine job

it's a shame that this is still going on over 10yrs later... :(

Yeah tell me about it!

I wish my pickup would have punched me in the face with the air bag. I knew better.

SAME dang problem with our local self proclaimed cummins guru. He bought a 98 12 valve 5spd extended cab short bed yada yada. He will not do the kdp on it to save his life! He always says, "Ohhhh i never drive it so its not going to come out!" But he drives it though!!! annoying cause he is the preacher when it comes to the kdp....

SAME dang problem with our local self proclaimed cummins guru. He bought a 98 12 valve 5spd extended cab short bed yada yada. He will not do the kdp on it to save his life! He always says, "Ohhhh i never drive it so its not going to come out!" But he drives it though!!! annoying cause he is the preacher when it comes to the kdp....

That's ridiculous... KDP is the FIRST thing I do when I buy a 12v. I've had 8 of them and never had a KDP problem. For $3 to $40 and 30 min of my time, it's well worth it!

That's ridiculous... KDP is the FIRST thing I do when I buy a 12v.

^This. The very first thing I learned about a 12-valve Cummins (beside it was an inline-6 diesel- obviously) was about the KDP issue and the carnage it has the potential to cause.

Cost and time to fix KDP vs. cost and time for a repair when the KDP humbles the mighty 12-valve....I dont get why people dont do it right away.

I was paranoid the whole time I drove the truck home for the first time (PO- didnt know if it was done or not...I would NOT trust what any PO says anyway)LOL.

Sorry to see this.

Mine was about 1/2 way out at 145k
KDP.jpg

Local kid had me helping him find a truck. We found him a nice 98 quad cab. Told him up and down left and right to take care of the kdp.

Two months later he's pulling it apart to replace the timing case.

Just a shame