Large amount of Coolant in oil

Tony R

New Build is For Sale.
I got a 01 7.3 with 270k on it. It started earlier this week using some coolant and I noticed the oil level was going up. I parked it yesterday when it used about a gallon of coolant in 40 miles. I took the valve covers off and of course the anti freeze is mixed with the oil and sluge is everywhere. I am waiting on my pressure checker to get here so I can pressureize the coolant system to try to see where it's going. Has anyone else seen this happen. I was going to start with the injector cups by checking them first. Then the oil cooler and then junk the motor.

Is there anyway to check without removing it. I assume listen for air in the cooler. I know ford has a pressure tester for the cooler but requires removal. I have not seen any bubbles in the coolant when the truck is running to indicate a head gasket. Temp stays right where it should and the truck is still running ok despite the need to replace worn injectors. I parked the truck though till I get it figured out, don't want to loose the bearings in it.

I checked the injector cups and the oil cooler and no leaks there. I can hear the air escaping inside the oil return gallery but cannot seem to locate it. I guess my next step is to pull the engine and check behind the timing cover and inside the oil pan. I found another engine cheap with a whole lot less then the 270k that mine has on it and I'm thinking of going this route. If it is the timing cover the cost will be more to repair then the price of this engine.

Back