Late 99 running rough

loganp

hot rod farmboy
My friend has a late 99 7.3, 6 speed, 4x4, bone stock, sounds like it's missing a few cylinders. When you start it up, you have to give it a little throttle to get it started. Starting out in 1st gear on flat ground and just let the clutch out easy will kill it unless you give it some throttle. If you lug it down, you can hear 4 or 5 cylinders hit then the next ones skip their turn. It sounds like it runs a little smoother when it gets into the upper RPM's, I'm not sure if it really is running better or if the misses go by so fast you don't hear them anymore. Not blowing any smoke, code reader didn't pull any DTC's, has fresh oil and filter, and newer air cleaner, and I just changed the fuel filter thinking it could be causing this problem; it was very dirty when I changed it but changing it didn't cure the issue. Also ran some injector cleaner through it at the same time. Checked all the wiring I could find going into the valve covers on each bank, the connections are tight and seem ok. Anyone have any thoughts or tests I could run or do we have to take it to the dealer?
Thanks

Dealer said it was a combination of bad wiring in the ECM plug and a hole in a fuel line somewhere.