Lb7 Pro's And Con's?

deathcloud

I found a 2001 with 94000 on it for a really reasonable price. How reliable is the LB7? Some pros and cons? How much power can i get out of it safley without replacing rods and adding studs? Thanks Matt.

Injectors are the major con. The LB7s have a lot of issues with them, I'm on my 3rd set in my '02. I love the truck, and any of the other problems I've had have been caused by me. I love my LB7 though, great motors IMO.

My 01 has 110k on it and its been great other then the injectors wich i replaced at 95k. Its a great engine, fast and reliable. I know lbz's and lmm's are faster but for a truck its pretty fast. If you can get it id go for it. :Cheer:

If LBZ and LMM are faster then why are all the quickest and fast truck LB7's? Take a look at the Pro Street trucks for an example.

If LBZ and LMM are faster then why are all the quickest and fast truck LB7's? Take a look at the Pro Street trucks for an example.

i dont think ther has been anyone to be able to tap into in lmm or lbz's true power yet man. plus if im right pistons and bottom end are much stronger in a lb7 opposed to others. could be wrong but idk $.02

The piston issues were and are brought about by bad tuning issues. All the versions of duramax engines have been pretty sound. LB7's have had injector issues and are harder to change. LLY's have been know to run hot when towing in Hot outside temps, LBZ/LMM have had piston issue's from tuners doing the wrong thing. In stock form they all run well. So pick you poison based on what you want. As far as thinking the power is going to be different they are all the same displacement with the same head ports, valves. The compression ratio is lower on the LBZ/LMM but this was done for emissions and the turbo are all pretty much the same for LLY - LMM. Once you start modifying they all have the same potential.

Good price but it up..... Everything has its ups and downs. There is not a bad duramax

The piston issues were and are brought about by bad tuning issues. All the versions of duramax engines have been pretty sound. LB7's have had injector issues and are harder to change. LLY's have been know to run hot when towing in Hot outside temps, LBZ/LMM have had piston issue's from tuners doing the wrong thing. In stock form they all run well. So pick you poison based on what you want. As far as thinking the power is going to be different they are all the same displacement with the same head ports, valves. The compression ratio is lower on the LBZ/LMM but this was done for emissions and the turbo are all pretty much the same for LLY - LMM. Once you start modifying they all have the same potential.

ok i know wat you mean that makes sense

That is low miles, do a vin check and see what has been done to it. If I were going to replace injectors I'd go a little bigger than stock and have one of the great tuners like Idaho Rob tune your truck so it will last. Changing the fuel filter often is a must, in fact I'd add a second one underneath along the frame rail that is easier to get to than the stock one.. A mild lift pump like the TTS and a mild tranny rework with a transgo and maybe a c-3 clutch pac up grade with a good TC like a Precision and you would have a great truck with 450 or so RWHP and it would run like that for a very long time on a stock engine.

i looked into the LB7 pretty hard and after driving the LB7, LLY, and LBZ, i decided to go with an LBZ when i get a new truck. I like the 6 speed allison and the ability to manually shift it, the new gauge layout (vs the LB7 cluster layout) and just the way the LBZ runs, it has plenty of power in stock form and i dont imagine i will be going very far from stock with it because i'll have my dodge for a toy. but thats just my take on it. the guys that have the LB7's really seem to enjoy them

Injectors is the main issue i see with a LB7, I currently have a 03 I just replaced it injectors about 4000 miles ago. I went with 33lph. I change the fuel filter every 5000 miles with the oil change. My truck had 215k on stock injectors. If price is right I'd say buy it even if it needs injectors.

Back