Leaky intercooler boots

Ontherks

Got Diesel?
Ok this is getting very frustrating. I put the H2E on and got new boots from Bob Riely. I had problems with the stock ones leaking on the top, but never at the intercooler. Well now I can't get them to stop leaking at the intercooler. One problem is the clamps I got with the boots seem to be too big, the threads bottom out, I even double clamped it with the supplied type clamps, no luck, I put a cheapo clamp on plus the supplied one with the boots and it helped a little but still leaks. I did a ccv mod to reduce oil, pulled them off before and cleaned them up.
Has anyone else had problems with the clamps being too big?
What else should I try?
Thanks

Ontherks said:
Ok this is getting very frustrating. I put the H2E on and got new boots from Bob Riely. I had problems with the stock ones leaking on the top, but never at the intercooler. Well now I can't get them to stop leaking at the intercooler. One problem is the clamps I got with the boots seem to be too big, the threads bottom out, I even double clamped it with the supplied type clamps, no luck, I put a cheapo clamp on plus the supplied one with the boots and it helped a little but still leaks. I did a ccv mod to reduce oil, pulled them off before and cleaned them up.
Has anyone else had problems with the clamps being too big?
What else should I try?
Thanks

If the clamps seem to big....go to a heavy truck dealer and get clamps that are one size smaller and that should work.

Hammer

i was gong to say try the ccv removal, but you already did. i guess just try the smaller clamps.

Make sure the inside of the boots are clean no oil residue at all and the same for the intercooler tubes and such. use some Berrymans carb cleaner to get them clean (it also evaporates nicely) and if you need to use any lube to get the boots back on use a little dish soap. Once the dishsoap dries it will actually help it seal (gets tacky)
Hope this helps. good luck,... John

Hair spray has been known to help out in this area. If your clamps are too big, then you will definately have to get smaller. If you bought your boots directly from Bob, call him and let him know. I have bought 2 sets from him with no problems. If there are problems, he is one of the few that has set the bar in customer service. He will make it right. When running on my truck in previous revisions, I had to double clamp almost everything to keep in 50+ psi.

gasket glue works wonders also and double clamps as said

house said:
gasket glue works wonders also and double clamps as said
Yeh but that gasket glue (shelack) is tough to get apart if you ever had to:aiwebs_009:

You should not have to double clamp, glue, or anything else for that matter. I would make sure everything is cleaned from any oil. The boots should be a little snug when you install them, and the clamps should be the right size for a pefect fit, if not go back to the supplier to get that resolved.

Give us a call and we'll help you out. No need to double clamp them or use hairspray. I doubt you have more boost than we do. ;)

Bob

The correct clamps with clean boots and the shot of hairspray, worked great for me everytime.......

Ontherks said:
Well now I can't get them to stop leaking at the intercooler. One problem is the clamps I got with the boots seem to be too big, the threads bottom out, I even double clamped it with the supplied type clamps, no luck, I put a cheapo clamp on plus the supplied one with the boots and it helped a little but still leaks.

When you say leaking, do you mean it keeps blowing the intercooler tubes off?

As far as threads bottoming out...What connection are you talking about exactly? Did you use the clamps for the intercooler 3 1/4" connection on the 3" intercooler piping?

Back