legal in ohio to swap?

3Deez

Is it going to be a legal swap to put my 94 12 valve into my 2001 F350? Or do I need to dump thousands in this tired pmr 7.3. I just don't want to waste time doing it if its not legal in Ohio. I tried using the search but found nothing.

Diesel-Diesel swaps are usually fine in Ohio.
Technically, you shouldn't use an engine with older emissions standards than the vehicle you are putting it in, but I've never personally seen anyone have an issue with it.

If you live in a county that still has e-check (don't know if any are still open or not), you could have an issue with a gas-diesel swap.
I have had to do self assembled (rebuilt) titles on a couple 4bt swapped jeep wranglers that we fixed/swapped and the inspector never batted an eye. As long as your paperwork (BOS, reciepts) are in check, they don't care.

Thanks Supersonic but how could I find out for sure? I should probably just build the 7.3,but to do it right they are expensive! My 12 valve is on the engine stand now and I know its fast and reliable!...it just sucks to worry about hacking up my truck to do the swap when it could ultimately be an off-road only vehicle.

Having done a few conversions, I wouldn't worry about it.
You could call the state hwy patrol office and try to talk to the inspector, but honestly you are probably just going to confuse them.

had a good friend do 5 or6 conversions 12v in to chevy gas trucks and never have a problem

If you follow the letter of the law, no it is not legal. To do a conversion you must use an engine that is the same year or newer than the engine it is replacing. Also it must have all emissions equipment that said engine had for the vehicle the donor engine came from. A good example would be if you swapped in a 6.7L POWERSTROKE, you would have to swap in all of teh DPF, cat, and DEF injection system to be legal. On the other hand how many people do all of this and never get caught. if you live where there are emissions tests done, then I would at least say you need an electronically controlled engine with an OBD2 data plug for it to be checked as most all emissions test first start with connecting an OBD2 scanner and checking for codes. If you have no emissions testing in your area or visual checks, then do what you want and just hope you don't move somewhere where they do emissions testing(or get caught somewhere at a roadside inspection station like California has).

If I had to guess I would say probably 90% of the diesel swaps out there are not legal by the letter of the law, but on the other hand the enforcement isn't there to check them.

If you follow the letter of the law, no it is not legal. To do a conversion you must use an engine that is the same year or newer than the engine it is replacing. Also it must have all emissions equipment that said engine had for the vehicle the donor engine came from. A good example would be if you swapped in a 6.7L POWERSTROKE, you would have to swap in all of teh DPF, cat, and DEF injection system to be legal. On the other hand how many people do all of this and never get caught. if you live where there are emissions tests done, then I would at least say you need an electronically controlled engine with an OBD2 data plug for it to be checked as most all emissions test first start with connecting an OBD2 scanner and checking for codes. If you have no emissions testing in your area or visual checks, then do what you want and just hope you don't move somewhere where they do emissions testing(or get caught somewhere at a roadside inspection station like California has).

If I had to guess I would say probably 90% of the diesel swaps out there are not legal by the letter of the law, but on the other hand the enforcement isn't there to check them.

Thanks! I'll trade the 12 valve for a spare 7.3 (with good rods).