Let's see your pullin hitches!!!

Fat chance that it'll be behind any of your trucks, I like it behind my truck just fine! Figured if I can't have the strongest sled truck I'll at least have a nice hitch!:hehe:

I MIG'ed mine, but if your going to stick it then I would run 7018 for a good strong weld.

What diameter wire did you use? I have .030 and .035. I did not think I could run either one hot enough to get good penetration on 0.50" plate.

I went down to Airgas this afternoon, and talked with a guy about rod selection. We came to the conclusion that a 7018 1/8" rod will do the trick.

JSPulliam21 said:
What diameter wire did you use? I have .030 and .035. I did not think I could run either one hot enough to get good penetration on 0.50" plate.

You will be fine with .035 wire , when I made the hitch pictured above the other week I just did a little gouging on the edges of the joint first with a grinding wheel and then layed a good bead with the hottest setting and fast wire spead and did the whole "laying down a stack of dimes" thing and I got penatration like crazy and that was 1" material which had turned purple on the other side.

Just thought I would let you know...RyanB

Wire diameter doesn't matter... heat is what penetrates. Most harry homeowners welders don't get hot enough to weld 1/2 inch. 7018 should do you fine.

I am fixin' to go over to the fab shop and get started. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Well, I finally finished the major part. Now for a little grinding and painting.
Pulling_Hitch_2_.jpg

Pulling_Hitch_4_.jpg

Pulling_Hitch.jpg

I have one that is exactly like PourinDiesel's, I used a 3/32" 7018 rod with LOTS of heat to get good penetration. I cleaned everything before welding with brake cleaner and all the places I could were beveled to help get a good penetration as well... I haven't hooked it to a sled but I have pulled out some big tractors with it and it hasn't blinked an eye yet.

The only sad thing is that I want/need to sell it :(

sell it ??? the hitch or the truck ?

FYI muddin dude i need to get with you and pick up those tools from ya !

No problem man, I cleaned them and they have been sitting forever! Just let me know when you need them and I'll make sure you get them.

I need to sell the hitch, although I still have issues with the truck occasionally it's like my other half, I don't think I could do anything without it! lol

Stupid question, but Ive noticed that some people go without a bumper in the rear, but have these bars there instead. What is the reason for this?

If I follow your question Colin, they are trying to get the hitch closer to the truck

Santa Gertrudis said:
Well that makes sense now, but what are the bars for?
Sled stops. That way when the truck pops a drive line or the driver plays chicken with the sled it doesn't hurt his pride/wallet as much.

I will be removing my large ranch-hand bumper & installing a roll pan instead..

Do you think there will be a huge benefit bringing my hitch 13" closer to the truck!?

Uh...YES! What took you so long?

Say..wathca doin with thet bumper?

I would say that it would considering the teter-toter effect.
Brandon