Lets talk u joints shall we

littlehide37

I need to replace the u joints on my 2002 F-350 dually and was wondering who has the good ones. I dont trust AutoZone lifetimers and I really greaseable ones.

:thankyou2:

Carquest has greasable. I forget who makes them but I can check tomorrow when I go to work.

Got Neapco in my truck. I get em from Fleet pride, but I trust my guy at Fleetpride too. And they are greaseable.

the greaseable joint is another debatable issue.some say the g-hole is the week link.some say the g-less have better seals. mine are g-less.

I like Moog. Nascar seems to like them too but it just might be a $$$$$ sponsorship thing too.

Where does the grease go in the factory joint? I mean, it's "sealed" right? So, where does the OEM grease go?

(making point here)

to me ,any kind of seal is going to fail in a matter of time.all the u joints i have replaced looked rusty & crusty inside.so the seal gets water in it.and the grease cant win that fight.thats why some like the zerk fitting.sometimes waterish goo will come out when the new grease goes in.and if you clean the zerk BEFORE you hit it. and do it often .the u joint will last a long time.if it doesent fail under load pressure.

How much load are we talking about? Class 8 trucks have them, why can't we?

never broke a u-jount of any kind gasser or diesel.changed some nasty near frozen ones.i have seen a few driveshafts twisted like a pretzel.the u-joints were good.go figure.

In my opinion, the OEM joints are stronger than anything you're going to find at your local parts store.

Why is that? What makes them so much stronger? What are the "truck pull" guys using? There is no way those trucks have OEM joints.

The OEM ones are stronger because they dont have a hole drilled into them for the grease. I damaged a OEM joint on a Ford LFE delivery truck and the aftermarket 1 broke the first time an employee tried to get the truck out of some soft sand he backed into. I have 3 trucks with over 300k on the stock u-joints and never an issue so the grease seems to hold up just fine....Take 10-20% of the material out of the joint for the grease passages and endless failures are sure to follow.

bigger size generally means larger heavier yokes. if you do alot of mudding then being able to add grease to purge out mud and water is worthwhile. in normal useage the non greaseable will last far longer than you want to keep the truck