lift pump on 1992

commonrail2006

looking to mod the truck in the near future. What is a good electric lift pump to get where i won't have to change it when i start to add go fast parts. looking to add 64mm turbo, 5x16 injectors, KDP kit, 3,200RPM spring. just seeing what you guys think and what is working on the 1st gens. Thanks

AirDog here. Used a carter electric for a while that worked fine, but planned on going to a 14mm h/r in the future so I went bigger. Aeromotives also work well and will supply anything you can throw at them.

i was lookin at a piston pump like on 94-98 p-pumped trucks and i also found a 4000rpm spring last night thats what i am leaning towards

I've ran a holley blue, an Aeromotive SS series pump but currently I'm running a Holley Black.

I really liked the Aeromotive but it had some cold weather issues, the black seems to do just as good as the aeromotive did though

i have seen the carter pumps and the holly blue's. i was thinking about getting the carter 100 gph at 18 max psi. do you guys think that will fuel what i need for now? thanks

Remember a first gen VE injection pump can blow the front seal out if you feed it to high of a fuel pressure, I just picked up a carter piston lift pump, but its a low pressure (15psi) not a second gen pump.

If your talkin about the 3406hp, dont waste your money. I've had 2 of them and they only push 9 psi through 1/2 lines and draw straw. 6 at wot.

Remember a first gen VE injection pump can blow the front seal out if you feed it to high of a fuel pressure, I just picked up a carter piston lift pump, but its a low pressure (15psi) not a second gen pump.

The pump has almost nothing to do with the pressure. Pump displace volume. Pressure is generated by the restriction at the end of the line.
If you're worried about to much pressure use a regulator or an OFV. Don't not get a pump because you think it will make too much pressure.

@ White Knight. :)

- The VE rotary pump isn't like the later P7100, etc. It's main-shaft seal gets shoved out of the case with much more than 20 or so psig fuel feed pressure.

- The stock/OEM lift-pump is of the diaphragm design and by design, produces right at 12psig with the engine free-reving to 2500rpms.

- It's common practice to replace the stock lift-pump with a agricultural app piston style lift-pump that is self regulating at about 15psig. It's good for a moderately bombed 1st gen.

- It's common to upgrade to the 2nd gen piston lift-pump when heavily bombing the 1st gen. As you may know, it is self regulating at about 45psig. As such, we have to regulate it's output to 20psig or less. further, the 2nd gen piston pump is of a larger piston displacement and as such, provides more volume supporting larger injectors while better maintaining feed pressure.

- It's common knowledge in the 1st gen community that we have to limit the VE's input pressure to a max of about 20psig. Don't we blow the seal unless it's been modified.

As you've pointed out, pumps move volume. Said volume encounters resistance to flow thus the pressure goes up. Certainly, with increased engine speed as well as demand for fuel, the resistance will drop thus does the pressure.

- > In the case of the VE rotary injection pump. It has dynamic injection timing that is Dependant on IP case pressure to function at it's intended range. A drop in fuel feed pressure will cause a drop in case pressure (under the right conditions) which will impact the dynamic timing function.

Make sense? :)

@ White Knight. :)

- The VE rotary pump isn't like the later P7100, etc. It's main-shaft seal gets shoved out of the case with much more than 20 or so psig fuel feed pressure.

- The stock/OEM lift-pump is of the diaphragm design and by design, produces right at 12psig with the engine free-reving to 2500rpms.

- It's common practice to replace the stock lift-pump with a agricultural app piston style lift-pump that is self regulating at about 15psig. It's good for a moderately bombed 1st gen.

- It's common to upgrade to the 2nd gen piston lift-pump when heavily bombing the 1st gen. As you may know, it is self regulating at about 45psig. As such, we have to regulate it's output to 20psig or less. further, the 2nd gen piston pump is of a larger piston displacement and as such, provides more volume supporting larger injectors while better maintaining feed pressure.

- It's common knowledge in the 1st gen community that we have to limit the VE's input pressure to a max of about 20psig. Don't we blow the seal unless it's been modified.

As you've pointed out, pumps move volume. Said volume encounters resistance to flow thus the pressure goes up. Certainly, with increased engine speed as well as demand for fuel, the resistance will drop thus does the pressure.

- > In the case of the VE rotary injection pump. It has dynamic injection timing that is Dependant on IP case pressure to function at it's intended range. A drop in fuel feed pressure will cause a drop in case pressure (under the right conditions) which will impact the dynamic timing function.

Make sense? :)

Thanks for the great post!
-jp

Have any applications for the ag pump? I've also heard a spacer is needed if a 2nd lift pump is used, is that right?

Have any applications for the ag pump? I've also heard a spacer is needed if a 2nd lift pump is used, is that right?

These are the parts required to upgrade the 1st gen from a stock/OEM diaphragm type lift-pump, to the low pressure (15psig) piston type lift-pump.

PistonLiftPumpParts.jpg

The body's are the same for the agri low pressure piston pump and the 2nd gen piston pump. However . . .

- The spring is what determines the output pressure.
- The agri pump has a smaller piston (lower volume of fuel per stroke) as compared to the 2nd gen pump.

It's my understanding that one can successfully run the 2nd gen piston & body with the agri spring (higher volume @ 15psig).

(2nd gen left)
PistonSpringDifferences.jpg

The difference in piston/bore is made up by way of a bronze bushing.

(2nd gen right)
BoreBushing.jpg

Sounds good, Ill be calling cummins north east tommrow.Thanks great thread.

i got my low pressure piston pump kit from tennessee diesel conversions. he is a vendor on 4bt swaps .com. his user name is crewcab59