Lifter refacing 24 valve Cummins

akadiesel

Diesel by birth
I've tried searching but can't find anything on how much material can be removed from a lifter face. Stem diameter, pit size, and such, yes. I assume the surface is hardened, and removing too much could leave a softer face? After facing a set, I have a lip thickness of .235 to .245, and would assume a new lifter to be around .250. Any thoughts??

Colt cams does it prolly can tell u... You in west Virginia

Charleston. Yeh, I prob will call them tomorrow as it is their Big Stick cam. Not sure on a CUMMINS, but most lifters have some convex in them when new to make em rotate.

I have four of their cams and really don't want to buy four sets of lifters. But don't want to hurt the cams either.

Charleston. Yeh, I prob will call them tomorrow as it is their Big Stick cam. Not sure on a CUMMINS, but most lifters have some convex in them when new to make em rotate.

Yes they do have a convex, they must rotate

Ordered new lifters for under $100, so problem solved. Will have to wait for Colts reply on their regrind process and price. It would be interesting to hear from some that have resurfaced their lifters, if and when they know how their cams have wore.

From Colt:
Re-ground convex lifters = $99 a set (parkerized)

New tappets with 1.3 diam. = $160.00 a set (parkerized)

No Limit Mfg. (compd sponsor) resurfaces lifters for $5/ea.

I just have 2 sets and every time I swap out a cam throw in a fresh set of resurfaced lifters.

Yes it is!! I do like the parkerized option, tho. I paid 7.25/lifter new and no shipping. Still have no info on surface hardness of new or resurfaced lifter.

Back