light it on fire

Hurley03

hey guys im running into a bit of a problem here, my pickup over heats when pulling my travel trailer. It has stock tuneing so egt's are not an issue but my coolant temp gets high enough that it starts shutting the pickup down. This happens on the smallest of grades, last time i towed with it it was snowing out and still overheating. My radiator, fan, fan clutch, and shroud are all brand new due to hitting a deer last fall. I have taken it into a dealer and they said that i had a fan over speed code but it was common with a pickup that over heats. I dont know where to start when it comes to fixing this problem, any ideas?

Air pocket in cooling system, weak water pump, or thermostat isn't opening all the way

Pull the t-stat out and take a drive and see if it over heats then. You can rule out the t-stat pretty quick.

Yeah I'd swap in a $12 t-stat ASAP. Then check the impeller on water pump. Sometimes tj's just disenagrate.

lcaad it is an auto.

i didn't know t-stats could only partially open so i figured if there was pressure in the top hose it was fine. but for less than 20 bucks i might as well giver a shot, the impeller disintegrating would be something to see, does it happen often? thanks for the jumping off place on this guys

But remember. Too much pressure in upper radiator hose is a no go. Simple test. After a decent drive and warm up to operating temp. Try to squeeze upper rad hose. If its easy to squeeze shut. Your good if not too much pressure in hose. Do same thing immidiatly after **** down. If hose is hard you got a head gasket problem where exhaust gas is pressurizing cooling system.

Mine had a similar problem It turned out bein my rad cap was weak and a bad seal from cap to rad.Causing a overheating proplem

i will check again tomorrow but it seems like the top hose was very firm when i checked it a couple days ago. tomorrow im going to do the thermostat and radiator cap because their cheap and easy

Another thing to check is the wires to the fan clutch. Ive seen newly replaced clutches get the wires cut by the fan within a week.

Yeap had that happen to mine when pulled the fan off to change a oil seal cut the wires and had to replace the entire set up. Id bet on air in the block tho

Gibson you seem to know your stuff about a cummins lol

No sir I don't know everything about a cummins or anything actually lol I just try to help people with what I've seen or been told by other people.

the automatic trans can put out a lot of heat. there is a checkball in one of the lines that can be drilled out. it restricts flow and can get plugged and is possibly the reason it is over heating it is about a 20 minute job and will help the trans last.

also check to see if the water pump is leaking and you could take your belt off and see if the water pump spins freely. mine spun but you could tell the bearing was bad

Well guys i finely took it in to see what the problem was for sure and the best they can figure is that i got a radiator from a 5.9 v8 not for a cummins. But the shop that replaced my radiator is fixing it under warentey.

I6 . . . V8 . . . That's close enough right . . . . Lol

When they replace the radiators mind taking some dimensions on both? Curious to see how big of a difference there is.

There is a thread about Trans coolers. That check ball is on the Trans cooler on the top line... If this isn't working right the heat exchanger under the turbo will overwork itself heating up coolant