lightweight drag trucks/dragsters

Glasseater

what i don't get is why don't these guys just throw a 1200hp cummins or dmax into these really lightweight dragsters or drag trucks?? i mean the dragsters that are in the 8s are only at like what... 850?? and the drag trucks are at like 900?? i mean i know traction and not breaking driveshafts and trannys is an issue... but if full weight trucks can hold it then why don't they do it??

That is what I was thinking, you know, when orange crush ran the 9, he only had something like 700+ RWHP, so imagine with 1200+ RWHP, that could be mid 8s.

Ummm yeah, Keating machine campaigns a 92 chevy Pro-mod, tube frame, 1500 with a cummins.....Darren Morrison has an ex NHRA Pro stock S10 with a cummins, Dr. P has Darrell Alderman's old Pro-stock Dakota with a Cummins, Banks has a PST S10 with a Duramax, and Bill Fletcher has a PST with a Cummins. Racin Duallie is building a Pro-Mod Fullsize Ram with a Cummins, and Steve Cole has a fullsize Chevy with a Duramax. John Roinson, Scott Bentz, and Scheid Diesel all have Cummins-powered Rails, and Wide Open Performance and DI are both building 7.3 powerstroke rails. And dont forget Danny Elmore's 86 Toyota that has been back halved with a 7.3 shoe horned into it.....

I was thinkin' it when I saw this post but figured I'd wait for others to chime in. :D

Glasseater said:
what i don't get is why don't these guys just throw a 1200hp cummins or dmax into these really lightweight dragsters or drag trucks?? i mean the dragsters that are in the 8s are only at like what... 850?? and the drag trucks are at like 900?? i mean i know traction and not breaking driveshafts and trannys is an issue... but if full weight trucks can hold it then why don't they do it??
Thats what we were thinking when we built our car. It`s harder than it seems. The harder we try the more we realize how hard the 7`s are to accomplish. You would think it would be no problem, but what i`ve found out is that you dont just throw one of these things together & go do it. You have to grow in to it.

there was a sweet 9 second modified at the NHRDA nationals this year. the thing has alot more potential too.

Glasseater said:
at the crank or at the wheels? cause if that's at the crank then there's a lot more left
At the crank, and you are correct. As John said, hp is just half of the equation, we took 18 months to "grow" in to the 7's.

The requirements are different on a light weight racer when the power plant is required to accelerate. What was a 1000 hp ProStreet type engine exhibits a different personality when you ask it to accelerate at a 600 rpm’s per second. There are ways to work around this and this is the key to being successfully.

When I was planning the power plant for the Nitro Flash truck, I knew going in that a diesel didn’t like to accelerate. I also knew that diesel torque and the drive trains parts necessary to make these cars successful, didn’t like to coexist. The answer was to get as far away from Peak torque as possible and let the engine run at a acceleration rate more suited to the diesel.

I was going to go that route, but decided that running quick in a "REAL" street truck would look more impressive......still going "light" though, the truck should weigh about 4500lbs once finished....I'd like to see people doing more engine swaps into other thingies like Elmos truck....

The sled pulling engine in the Scheid rail and the sled pulling engine in Ether Man's ProStreet truck calculate to within 10hp of one another when figuring the power applied based on ET, trap speed, and vehicle weight. Same engine, same power applied with different rev gain.

:what:

JQmile said:
I was going to go that route, but decided that running quick in a "REAL" street truck would look more impressive......still going "light" though, the truck should weigh about 4500lbs once finished....I'd like to see people doing more engine swaps into other thingies like Elmos truck....
I'd like to see the light street trucks too. Too bad the DHRA Prostreet class outlaws them. If I had my wish, there would be a 10.50 or 11.00 index class with a Pro tree for the little trucks. Little trucks are typically easier and cheaper on parts. JHMO, of course.