Limits of the 241DLD and D70

Dusterb318

Regular Jackoff
Just wondering what you guys have found were the limits for the 241DLD t-case and Dana 70 rear axle. Mine are both in good condition but I want to start pulling and drag racing here once in a while....couple times a year at most. Truck put down 383hp and 1022tq at a dyno recently and I have a few other mods on the way looking for around 500hp total. I know the t-case and diff won't last forever and I want to upgrade to an 80 and a DHD but will these hold for a while from your experiences?

well my dld has held up to 456 for a while, and even more abuse at lower power numbers (4x4 launch etc)

Then don't race or pull...

I get that BUT if they won't take any kind of power or abuse I'll wait and change them.....if they can take some abuse then I'll take it easy and watch things. I'm trying to avoid the fact that if i am ignorant and just go out and break stuff then it usually takes out other parts and makes the repairs more than if I would have just upgraded or kept an eye on things. I asked to get an idea of others experiences.

They, as with anything, will hold up for a while, but when you race/pull/abuse stuff it can and will fail at some point. People who are serious about what they do expect and embrace the carnage. If that isn't your cup of tea then don't do it.

If you just want to see what it'll do, go do it and roll the dice.

-Dustin-

the case will go alot farther than the 70 will.. i've even managed to break my 80 stock posi unit with my ld t case with no problem..

I understand at some point it will fail and need to be upgraded....I've been drag racing cars for long enough to get that point but I knew the limits on those parts and what to expect...the pulling and just weight of the truck abusing parts is new to me so I'm trying to gauge where and what I need to replace, watch or upgrade to keep my truck on the road and still play. I'm not going to be out every weekend racing or pulling...just a few times a year to get my fix. As with every vehicle that gets on the track you are rolling the dice but I like to try and get the odds more in my favor to drive it home so that's why the question and why I want to hear from the experienced guys. New parts can fail, upgraded ones as well....there are no warranties and I get it. I just want to see who broke what and when they reached the limit of the same parts I have.

I destroyed the 70 in my truck about 2 months ago just pulling trailers and screwing around on the street, and that's with no plate, some tuning and 3k's. I don't my combo making any more than 300 horse tops and it killed the 70 dead. That is all to say that the 70 probably won't last very long, even at your current power levels.

^ Maybe you had a junk one. I know several that are doing fine at 6-700 horse, beating the chit out of em on the street and strip.

If you pull the DLD and Dana 70 now, you might be able to sell them as a good parts to someone. If you wait til they break, they are scrap price.

I have a DLD in my truck, close to 700hp and 1400tq now, 5 speed, haven't had any issues with the case except leaking a little from crappy seals from prior work, but it's held up to my drag racing antics just fine.

honestly the 70 is the week link here.. i wouldnt worry about the ld tcase.. i dont know anyone that broke one from power out here..

In 08 my truck was at 400hp and 1000tq. The 70 held pulling untill the dig down shift at the end for the track when I didnt lift like I should have. Broke the spiders the first time and the the pinion the second time. Thats what I get for trying to spin out 3rd gear lol. I swapped in the 80 and broke the spiders and the output shaft on the dld at the same time. Same reason though down shifted. So if you can role out of it you MIGHT be able to make them live if your lucky. I agree with Jedeka pull them out and sell them for good used parts and buy an 80 and dhd. O and dont try and spin 3rd gear out. LOL

I had a DLD in my 96. Last year, I broke that output shaft clean off at the snap ring groove. You would have thought I cut it in a lathe, it was so clean of a break. I don't know if a transfer case saver would have prevented the break or not. Went with a 271, instead of a DHD.

I put a new/used output shaft back in mine but I have a dhd ready to go in.

Thanks guys....that's what I was after. Nice thing with my '98 the speed sensor is in the rear diff so that makes swaps a bit easier I assume.