Little help here...Hello? This thing on?

Purn1973

Peeing in the bushes
Looking for a one piece, front drive shaft for my early '07 5.9 auto. Mine is now a four piece front drive shaft......

10270289_10203234400994856_6411293715005566582_n_zpsfcd4ee77.jpg

Now, here is where I need help. I called the dealer Saturday and after running my VIN they can't tell me which drive shaft came in the truck, It has one of three possible drive lines for the year. To further complicate things the part# here:

IMAG1299_zps4f017bba.jpg

Well it doesn't match anything in their computer. :bang
Anyone that has one laying around that matches the numbers on mine, or knows which ones are interchangeable give me holler. I'm more than ready to pay a fair price for a used one, but please go easy on me as they've recently raised the price of PBR again. :bang :bang
PM me here or feel free to shoot me a text, 1-937-402-6995

Thanks,

-Purn

P/N 52123112AA

Should fit any diesel 06-09, 5.9l or 6.7l.

I've called two different local salvage yards here today, one has an '06 5.9 auto but the part# isn't even close. Is there any way to tell if it will work without actually making the 45 minute drive to see if it fits?

On edit: And what is the significance of the (P) in the part#? The other shaft I located off the '06 starts with a (W) I believe.

Last edited:
A simple w-w measure will always tell you for sure. Gotta watch chrysler p/n, they will use multiple numbers for the same part just because they are mfrd in different years or different locations.

Just got off of the phone with these guys, their heavier unit for $475 is probably what I'm going to go with. I mean a stock sized front drive shaft is $365 and I can't upgrade the U-joint and CV to Spicers for that price.

A simple w-w measure will always tell you for sure. Gotta watch chrysler p/n, they will use multiple numbers for the same part just because they are mfrd in different years or different locations.

Tell me about it! :doh: :hehe:

What configuration is your truck?
Standard cab, longbed, 4wd, auto, with a 5.9?

Mark.

Well, looking on Car Part, I'm seeing that it's comparable for ANY (Diesel) 2500 from 2006-2009.
Doesn't matter if it's standard cab, or an extended cab of any sort.

I just did a total measurement on the transfer case/automatic transmission combo out of an '08 6.7 truck and a 2006 5.9 truck and THOSE, paired up, measure exactly the same, so which one it's from shouldn't make a bit of difference.

My thinking as to why it might call as different is either it's heavier duty on the tube or CV assembly, a thicker tube wall, or has some difference in a u-joint design.
Who knows with Dodge.

Mark.

After talking with the guys from Ft Wayne Clutch and Driveline they explained to me the difference in the various ways these trucks came from the factory. The weld to weld measurement is the crucial one, as stated above. The big difference between them is the heavier CV's/U-joints in some models. Both shafts will interchange, one is just made heavier. With that in mind I just ordered their HD replacement shaft for my truck.

http://www.fortwayneclutch.com/index.php/2003-2006-dodge-ram-2500-3500-front-cv-style-driveshaft-new-2-5-x-120-heavy-duty-front-cv-driveshaft-14-5-w-w-pn-s-9535hd.html

Thanks for the help everyone. You'd think that the parts manager I spoke with Saturday would have known that the (P) in front of the part number isn't part of the actual number...that created a bit of confusion to say the least.

Well, at least I learned one thing by grabbing the measuring stick.
A 6.7 68RFE tranny is the same PHYSICAL length as a 48RE.

Mark.

I learned, once again, that finding parts for my truck is a PITA! I need a beer....