LLY throwing codes and running rough..injector?

71chev454

I have an 05 dmax straight piped and EFI Live tune. It's a custom tune but pretty mild. Last week the check engine light came on and immediately it lost all power and started running line a 1970 john deere tractor. It feels like half the engine shuts down. Then I clear the codes with my Edge Insight...and it will start up and run fine until it throws the engine light and starts running like sh!t again after a few miles. The codes are P0207 and P2146..which is supposedly the injector harness on #7. I did the icepick repair- same...replaced the #7 pigtail (soldered the connections)- same engine light and codes. Is this caused from a bad injector on #7? My balance rates are usually great (near 0..but ive seen 7 as high as 5.5, but that could be caused by a false reading if the harness is bad) HELP!
P0207- number 7 injector circuit failure
P2146 is bank A voltage circuit failure.
Im really hoping its just the harness somewhere. Any knowledge or experience would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would bet that you still have a problem in the wiring harness somewhere, I have even seen them rub right at the main connectors on the drives valve cover. Check your wires carefully anywhere they come into contact with a hard surface

Look to the alt. mount. The injector harness runs across the half moon portion of the mount and will rub through at this point causing this problem. Take the zip tie off and look at the bottom side of the harness right there.

Tape it up and install some hose around it.

I removed the wire loom and tape from the injector module, across the alternator bracket and all the way across the egr and down to the junction where it meets with the rest of the engine harness...and I did not find any wires rubbed through. Is there a more specific area that is notorious for the rubbing and causing a short like this? Maybe I missed it. Did one of you have this same problem and have the same codes? Im about to swap the #7 and #4 injectors to see if it will throw the same code..or if it throws the 0204 code ill know its the injector. Any more advice or help would be greatly appreciated!:nail:

I've had it in the middle of the desert on a tow rig. Did you fix the #4 harness? Three spots I have seen it caused from.

1. Harness where it plugs into the injector
2. Harness where it is taped to the metal hold down on the valve cover
3. Altenator bracket

#7 is the passenger side rear and #4 is the 2nd from the front on the drivers side.

I've had it in the middle of the desert on a tow rig. Did you fix the #4 harness? Three spots I have seen it caused from.

1. Harness where it plugs into the injector
2. Harness where it is taped to the metal hold down on the valve cover
3. Altenator bracket

#7 is the passenger side rear and #4 is the 2nd from the front on the drivers side.

I put a new pigtail/connector on the #7 injector because the code is 0207 which means its the # 7 injector causing the short. But that didnt fix it. I tried the icepick fix on it before replacing the connector as well. Have you seen these exact codes when dealing with the wiring harness problem?

There has been some debate on what the code really means and I've not spent the time to figure it out for sure one way or the other. Some say it means the 7th cylinder in the firing order and some say it means #7 cylinder. So you may want to look at the 7th cylinder in the firing order just to make sure.

I put a new pigtail/connector on the #7 injector because the code is 0207 which means its the # 7 injector causing the short. But that didnt fix it. I tried the icepick fix on it before replacing the connector as well. Have you seen these exact codes when dealing with the wiring harness problem?

Yes, I'm telling you of my own personal experience. I can stop posting if you don't want me to tell you what I have found that fixed it.

Pig tail is not the wiring harness where it attaches to the hold down, and you are the one that mentioned the 0204. I have seen the 0207/0204 code and fixed the #4 cyl. and drove off down the road.

Yes, I'm telling you of my own personal experience. I can stop posting if you don't want me to tell you what I have found that fixed it.

Pig tail is not the wiring harness where it attaches to the hold down, and you are the one that mentioned the 0204. I have seen the 0207/0204 code and fixed the #4 cyl. and drove off down the road.

Hey I wasnt trying to have any attitude at all...where did you do the icepick fix? at the FICM plugs? or on the 2 wire plug on the injector? Thanks

I just got the call from the shop that was doing diagnostics on it. I had a local shop run diagnostics to see what they said..and they are saying its the actual FICM that is bad. A bad harness could make that diagnosis seem correct as well right? Im still leaning towards the harness...any ideas?

Talked to the shop...they said the code that the Tech 2 showed was an "internal FICM failure" so, the FICM is bad for sure according to them. So, I borrowed the FICM out of my friends 05 LLY...and I put it in my truck. It ran fine for .5 mile then threw the same 0207 and 2146 codes again....So it did the same exact thing with my FICM as my friends FICM.
My next step will be the icepick fix on all cylinders...after that it will be swapping the #7 injector with another and see what code it throws then...
Those are the only ideas I have...and others?

look closer at the harness like rob said....it is going to be a wire bad