Long bed to short bed conversion

Overfuld

I'm in the process of converting my 2005 3500 dually into a single wheel short bed. I was wondering how much of the frame needs to be taken out to achieve this? I've heard 20.2 inches but does some in the back need to taken out? Thanks for any help

Guy on here does the conversions without cutting the frame.
Think he goes by shortbed guy?

Thanks for the replies guys I wonder if it can be cut out behind the bed? Anybody's know?

Thanks for the replies guys I wonder if it can be cut out behind the bed? Anybody's know?

It would be easier to cut the frame in front than it would be to cut the back and move the axle components forward.

Sorry I meant to say behind the cab. In between the cab and where the suspension stuff starts?

In my opinion, it's too much work to convert a truck to a configuration that's not unique. There are thousands of QCSB trucks out there. I'm converting a 1st gen right now to short bed, and if it wasn't unique, I would have already quit. There's just too many "little things" that you forget about. It's time consuming to say the least.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just giving my $.02. Good luck and hope it turns out well

overfuld, I shortened mine a couple of years ago. I ended up taking 20 inches out from under the cab because it was the only place long and straight enough to do so without relocating spring perches and such. Need to remove the cab but that's not as bad as it sounds and I put head studs in it while the cab was off which made that much easier. Also I believe you have to take 2 inches out from behind the rear axle too. Not 100% sure on that amount, it might be 1.5 inches. Find a shortbed truck and take some measurments back there. Be sure to take lots of before measurments front to back and diagonally so you can square it up before you weld it back together.

Go for it! I plan to do my ECLB Chevy soon and while it can and probably will be a pain in the but, the results will be well worth is.

In my opinion, it's too much work to convert a truck to a configuration that's not unique. There are thousands of QCSB trucks out there. I'm converting a 1st gen right now to short bed, and if it wasn't unique, I would have already quit. There's just too many "little things" that you forget about. It's time consuming to say the least.

Not trying to burst your bubble, just giving my $.02. Good luck and hope it turns out well

I agree that short bed single cabs are becoming a dime a dozen.

I have always wanted a little 500 horse single cab short bed though. I feel like 500hp in something smaller would be a fun little handful at times. Heck this 2wd single cab dually I bought is a fun little thing with a stock turbo and manual valve body.

Just don't do it like this....

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127894

I agree that short bed single cabs are becoming a dime a dozen.

I have always wanted a little 500 horse single cab short bed though. I feel like 500hp in something smaller would be a fun little handful at times. Heck this 2wd single cab dually I bought is a fun little thing with a stock turbo and manual valve body.

Just don't do it like this....

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127894

i tell you what... i went thru one heck of a trail when i followed that link! holy f'n welds!

LOL I remember when he first posted that on cummins forum. I went through his photobucket for a couple hours lost in a parallel universe.

Thanks guys for the replies, i was hoping that I wouldn't have to pull the cab to do it. But I may have to. And I've already tried to find somebody that wants to trade and I've tried to sell mine also so I can get a single wheel short bed but nobody around where I live wants a dually for some reason. How long does it usually take to pull the cab on these things?

I went out and looked at the angles of the frame behind the cab and if 20" was taken out there none of the angles would line up. I guess it's under the cab or nothing. I may just put a long bed single wheel on it and be done witht it

Back