looking at 03-06

smokeisfun

still learnin
I am looking at getting a 2003-06 dodge 4 door 4x4 cummins. I was just wondering if people who allready have one of these pickups had opinions on which ones to stay away from, which ones have the best fuel economy, least problems, ect. Also i am wanting a manual, but i have heard that the manuals have quite a few problems, so what do you think, if you had to go get a 03-06 dodge, which year would you get, with auto or manual?

thanks for the input and info.

if you don't need a mega cab, I prefer the 03/early 04. But if you find the right deal on any of them, you can't really go wrong. 05 is my least favorite as they seem to be more glitchy when it comes to reflashes

03, 04 seem to be the best fuel economy

biggest thing is the stock auto trannys arent the greatest. any year

i bought mine planning on putting a built tranny in so i didnt bother me

if i had to do over again it would be 03-04 for many reasons but if you get a good deal any of them will suit you im sure, but if im honest go auto unless you do a ton of towing cause you will for sure regret it if you plan on making a good toy out of the truck manuals just are poop when trying to be quick or anything else not saying a 6 spd aint but autos are more fun

if i had to do over again it would be 03-04 for many reasons but if you get a good deal any of them will suit you im sure, but if im honest go auto unless you do a ton of towing cause you will for sure regret it if you plan on making a good toy out of the truck manuals just are poop when trying to be quick or anything else not saying a 6 spd aint but autos are more fun

all of this

I love my early 04. It got good fuel economy, even when it was stock. I got a good deal 2 years ago and it only had 34k miles on it. It's auto, and I also planned on building the tranny in it when I bought it. The stock one laster longer than I had expected though. It seems to really react well to mods, moreso than my husbands 05. He even says he wishes he would have got an early 04.

thanks every one for the opinions and info, i had a hunch that the 03-04 would be the best one, since the epa didnt have much to do with emissions just yet. Also that is when the common rail came out and i have heard really good things about that.

Thanks again

absolutely they did... the acceptable levels just weren't as high... (nor were acceptable power levels!)

but they were able to do it with timing, injection pressures, ect. They didnt have to flow egr, use after treatment devices, all that good stuff, so that is what i am trying to stay away from. So yes, they epa was stepping in trying to get nox and soot levels down, but not near to the levels they demand now.

Also i deal with heavy duty truck, not with light duty or automotive, so i really dont know if the epa had the same say with both.