looking at a few 98-02 cummins trucks... need advice

squirts1

the description below is a truck im seriously looking at getting.... its a 99 5spd black w/ black leather 100,000miles... what kind of price should i be looking at for this truck? he wants 25,000.

"It has twin charger's 125 horse injector's, fire ringed, head studed, double disc clutch, billet input shaft, heavy duty slave cylinder, 01 disc rear end with billet axles and detriot locker, ladder bars, fast fuel system, edge comp drag, smarty ecm module, k&n cold air intake brand new wheels and tires autometer c2 gauges, brake controller, rhino lined bed, recon smoke cab lights, NEW VP PUMP, oil filter relocator, all new fluids burl wood interior."

"I had all the work done this past winter while it was being stored. I never had it on a dyno, hooked to a sled, or drag raced.

The twin setup was orgianlly an hx40 and ht3b with 300+hp injectors. The truck would pin a 100lb boost gauge with the edge comp box on setting 5. It was streetable, but the smoke was pretty intense, so I detuned it a little. We changed the top charger to a hx35 with 125hp injectors. The truck will make about 55lbs of boost now. I and selling the hx40 and 300+hp injectors with the truck. I also upgraded the Edge box to the drag version stacked the Smarty with it.

All the modifications to the truck are less than a year old with about 3,000 miles on them."

i asked him if it is a 53 block, he hasnt gotten back to me on that yet.

this is another truck i'm looking at... 2000 5spd white w/ black leather(big tear in driver seat) 216,000 miles... he wants 16,000

"For Sale is a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4X4 extra cab Cummins 24v Turbo Diesel 5 speed short bed.

This is a very nice good running truck. It has been converted to a ppump which is a manual pump like on the old 12v trucks. the pump is brand new has maybe 500 miles on it has laser cut deliver valves 4k rpm governor springs an a double 0 fuel plate. the pump is still under warrenty. also has bigger injectors and a street pulling cam that were both laser cut for the ppump conversion by haisleys machine out of fairmount IN. truck has a 62mm turbo with a bhaf air filter.also has a kennys pulling an machine double disk clutch that was just put in the truck about 500 miles ago the clutch is still under warrenty also an a bigger south bend slave cylinder to hold up to the bigger pressure plate. the truck has a set of 16x10 dick cepek dc1 wheels with 285/70/16 mastercraft courser AT tires with about half tread, nerf bars tinted windows, tow mirrors, front end leveling kit, billet gas cover, hide away goose neck ball. The interior on the truck is very nice with normal wear it has leather seats, power windows, power locks, cd player."

Both are a bit high in price.

The first one by about 10K and the second one by a few.

I understand that there is a bunch of work in each of them. But, look at the book value of the trucks. THen look at the cost of the mosifications. Take the modifications and cut the total value of the extras by 1/2 to 2/3 and add to the book value. Even then the number you get will be a little higher than what I'd expect to pay.

~Wes~

i knew the first truck seemed overpriced, but i couldn't really figure how much too high.

neither of these trucks have been on a dyno... but what am i looking at here? somewhere in the neighborhood of 500hp? a little less probably?

The black book value on the first truck not including toys is less than $10,000

450-520 on the first truck. More than likely

Second truck would be around 50-550.

But this is going on assumptions. I don't know the whole setup on either truck.

Does the first truck have an external wastegate on the twins?
What exact turbo is on the second truck? 62mm leaves a lot of variables

well black book is less than standard private party sale value though, hell black book is basicalle wholesale/auction value

dont know about the first truck... he did tell me it runs 55psi as it sits.

second truck says he has it wastegated at 48-50psi,

Last edited:
You didn't say if the first truck was 2wd or 4wd

If its 2wd then the first and second truck are nearly identical in black book value, once youu repair the drivers seats.

If its 4wd then the 99 has a higher black book due to mileage differences.

The mods listed on the second truck are more appealing to me and I would say that they probably hold a better value. But, you need to find out who built the truck and talk to them about it. Not just the owner. Find the shop that did the work and see what they will allow.

And black book is what you are able to buy for if you have just a little bit of patience.

true black book is lower than what I quoted. I took the KBB price and adjusted by a few percent.
When I get home I can pull out my little black book and check it. It will be lower than what I quoted. I promise.

When buying a performace truck and working on price agreements with the seller. Remind them that aftermarket parts once used are no longer worth what they sold for new. Also, labor is pretty well thrown out the window.

For example. The cam in the second truck was around $750. Used it is no longer worth quite that. Plus he would have 10-12 hours install at $60-$75 an hour.

That cam is worth $500 to the value of that truck. Not the $1650 it may have cost to get it and install it.

they are both 4x4... second truck, seller replied about the turbo "i aint 100% sure the turbo was on the truck when i bought it an i got the papers here somewhere i will have 2 find them an look 2 see what the brand is i no it has tha phat shaft in it"

not very helpful

If it is a Super Phat Shaft then you are in better water so to speak.

Plust the SPS (super phat shaft) is worth about $400 more than the phat shaft.

Either one is a good turbo. But the SPS will flow better and can make dyno numbers close to 600. I wouldn't suggest pushing it that high. But 500-550 isn't a big issue.

If you would be the third owner of this truck with performance mods. Then I'd be a little bit leary. 216,000 miles is not a problem, if the truck has been maintained. But, be sure and look over every nook and cranny of it.

The black truck in my avatar had a STOCK 235,000 mile short block in it in that pic and was making about 760RWHP without nitrous. These motors do last and are tough as nails. So, the mileage doesn't scare me, but it should still be factored in.

Have to hit a meeting. Hope you get waht you want and get a good deal. I'll check on this thread later.

~Wes~

I would also consider what you want to do with the truck. You dont want to buy a vp truck and then later wish it was a p pump like me. Like crawler said look over everything. Who knows what a truck modded that much has been through.

it's just gonna be my toy driver not doing anything special... i don't want any more than 500hp and i want to be able to haul like 6000 pounds at most probably and that will be rarely if ever. so i just want a solid fun truck to play with. getting rid of my gas truck. and i really don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles so with a new pump it should be good for a while. i may convert it over to a p pump when it does go out.

Last edited:
i would be plenty happy with 400-500 hp and decent fuel mileage in the 2nd gen body style

What are you wanting to spend? I have an 01.5 with 32K on the ticker that I would be interested in getting rid of.
SLT, 4x4 QC HO, still under 7/50k bumper to bumper zero deductible warranty
Edge Drag box, SB FE clutch, power sliding rear window, pretty much everything but leather and power seat. I would sell if for the right price. Head has been fireringed, and 12mm studs. AFE intake, autometer boost, pyro, fuel pressure. 2" leveling kit.