looking at a few 99-02 cummins trucks... need advice

squirts1

im looking for a strong 4x4 2500 shortbed quadcab... 98-02... maybe with some mods, i found a pretty heavily modified truck for sale but wonder if it would be practical as a daily driver. i'll mostly use it for fun and daily driving (i have another car also) i get out of the army in 1 year and when i move i'll probably be towing an absolute max of 10,000 pounds.... probably much less. a trailer with my car, maybe a motorcycle also by then, and the rest of my crap in the bed of the truck...

also, i am new to diesel... but to give you an idea of what im into... my first vehicle was a 750 sportbike in highschool, then a hayabusa (1300 sportbike) in college, then a 55chevy truck with a 427 and muncie 4sp ford 9inch rear etc... now i have a ws6 trans am about to be 530HP turbo trans am.

the 55 chev was obviously HIGH maint. and im looking for lower maint. vehicles now that i can drive daily that will last atleast a few years before something breaks

ok so here is the info on this truck im looking at... so please give me some input, thanks. im also looking at a few very mildly modified trucks to nearly stock trucks...

"1999 Dodge 2500 SLT short bed 4x4 Quad cab. Truck has 84524 mi, its very clean inside and out, never driven in winter. It has a 24 valve Cummins . Axles are dana 60(front) Dana 70 (rear) 3.55 axle ratio. Truck Dynoed at 547rwhp/ 1173ftlbs torque. I have dyno sheets

Upgrades include .
Twins, B1 / HX 60 ( Amsoil air filter)
Blue Chip FMS w/ Blue chip timing box
Exhaust is 5" w/ 5" slash cut stackes
Suncoast transmission w/ full billet shafts and triple disc torque converter.
Ported + o- ringed head w/ 12 mm ARP studs and heavy duty valve springs
Stage 6 EDM Mass Diesel injectors (200hp)
Amsoil Dual remote oil fitration system
Air Dog fuel preporator, runs all 1/2 lines from tank to pump
SkyJacker 4.5 lift kit
35" Pro Comp X terrians (95% tread)
Steel cowl induction hood"

i guess im worried about turbo lag after reading a lot of info about B1 and towing etc

he wants 25,000... yeah i didnt post his contact info on purpose :) im sure he will come down on the price though... i coudlnt find any info on hx60... just hx35 and hx40

With the amount of fuel the truck has I don't think turbo lag will be to bad, looks like it was built up right and the power is supported well with a full billet Suncoast. Test drive it and see what you think about it, with the FMS box you will be able to adjust the fueling level and keep it at "normal" power levels for daily driving, but be warned, one with that much oomph might not be the most street friendly truck out there.

i can handle it... its just like riding a turbo hayabusa, it only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. that old chevy ran 13s... stock busa runs 9s...

Last edited:
squirts1 said:
i can handle it... its just like riding a turbo hayabusa, it only goes as fast as you twist the throttle. that old chevy ran 13s... stock busa runs 9s...

Just bustin your nads.....

If you don't jump on the truck you should make it known where it is... there are many a enthusiast here that would take a hard look at that truck...

W

wish i could test drive it... i have a habbit of finding vehicles online. that's the only way i can find what i really want. ive never been able to find anything local. i'll see what happens if i dont get it i'll post the info here

i have a question about the turbo. when he says twins b1 hx60... does he mean 2 hx30s or somethin? i havent heard of hx60... im a retard i know.

Description is of a 'compound twin turbo set-up.' The B1 is the smaller turbo feeding a HX-60. It sounds like a decent truck other than it being VP-44 equipped. Swap a P-pump on that sucka and you'll have plenty of fuel then!

i need to sell my dakota... i might just give up and take it to carmax... i hate having normal vehicles... there are so damn many of them they arent desirable and damn near impossible to sell. my trans am sold in a few days, my bike sold in a week or two...

thanks for the input.

coming from a guy with a 500hp/1021tq 24v cummins...when you get into that range they are anything but a maintenace free daily driver. i spend almost every weekend working on it.

he may have the head o-ringed, and studded, and a built tranny beind it but at that paoer you will wear parts out and break stuff...and its not cheap to fix.

if you get a 500hp+ cummins for a DD you will be driving your turbo trans am to work alot. trust me i know. in the past year my truck has been down for over 18 weeks getting fixed. i broke the tranny twice, popped the headgasket, toasted a carrier bearing, lost 2 VP44's (with a FASS system providing good clean fuel), plus right now i dont have 6th gear, and i just recently got my heat working again.

Lastly tho I will add that I LOVE MY TRUCK TO DEATH, i wouldnt give it up for nothing, but its a money pit at times to keep it running.

also all the **** that has broke on me, i've never been stranded. every time the tranny broke i was able to drive home, the headgasket blew and still got me home 150miles in 102* heat, and the VP44's died slowly allowing me time to get new ones. every morning the truck has started (except when i drained the batteries by leaving my compressor on)

Last edited:
so basically you're saying for a diesel newbie i should step into a lightly modded truck first. a big thing for me is when i see a vehicle has been dyno tuned it makes me more inclined to buy it than when i see a mostly stock truck that some dude slapped a chip on and a big pipe coming out the bed of the truck ya know?

and i see he put stronger differentials and trans in it too... i can always tone it down, but since it already has lots of strong hard parts it makes me want it. i also have a tendancy to buy what i want even if it isnt practical :) im an idiot

Last edited: