looking at a few 99-02 cummins trucks... need advice

Id leave it sit. VP44 is the weakest pump. Never mind the 99 was prone to 53 block cracking.

Avoid 24 valves in general, you'll be happier.

well i just did a little research on this crack in the block of those engines... from what i have read it is not from high performance engines, its mostly from not letting the engine warm up before driving or putting load on it, so it's just as likely to happen on a stock truck as this one... im just saying what i've read, i dont know anything for fact... i found a company that sells a bracket supposed to reinforce that section of the block.
i've never heard anyone say stay away from 24v before. i have heard about the pumps and that it is common for them to go out atleast every 100,000 miles

were they all the 53 block in 99? what is the strongest year for engines? im really only interested in 98-02 trucks

seems to me from what i just read and the diagrams i looked at... that area of the block could be beefed up with more material? can't it just be welded up thicker or somethin? im a big dummy though i dont know **** about welding or metal really...

what ever you do remeber to build it to hold power before you make power and you should be ok

maybe i should just go for a truck like this instead....
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Sport Off-Road Quad-Cab:
"You are looking at the all power, all leather Dodge Ram 2500. Black with a black leather interior, it has 89,000 miles and an automatic transmission. This vehicle comes with many extras, including: a 4 YEAR WARRANTY on a new F.A.S.S. fuel system. Some of the other extras are a factory lift kit, an STL package, an edge computer chip system, new injector pump, and chrome stacks exhaust There are no visible scratches or dents..."

Sound alittle better to me:pop: . Both problems are fixed, a new I/P and a fass to get rid of the weak lift pump. Other then the trans you would be better off with some lighter mods then a full out twined truck right out of the gates.But it's just my$.02:Cheer: .

tat 02 truck is actually only 150 miles from me too so that makes it much easier... the 99 twin truck is about 1000 miles away