Looking at an 07.5 Tomorrow - Making Sure I am Not Missing Anything-Already Searched

Gravy

Giggity Giggity
So, I am going to look at my first 07.5 tomorrow and I have searched every forum on here, and just want to make sure I am dotting my i's and crossing my t's. Background on truck: 170k mile stock truck with no deletes done. Used as a tow rig for a farmer to and from horse shows across the southeast.

Here is my list to date on what I will be checking out tomorrow:
- Remove the oil cap while running to check for blow-by
- Shine a flash light into the oil fill to look for sludge
- Remove the intake boost tube to check for soot. I obviously know that there will be a good bit due to no deletes, but it is still worth my while to check.
- Check around every inch of the head/block mating surface as well as all accessories for any stains/leaks/oil
- Check the underhood foam for any stains from coolant/oil/steam/burns
- Pull the auto trans dip stick and smell for burnt fluid
- Fire the truck up and have someone watch the overflow tank for any bubbles
- During the test drive, cruise in all gears, at low rpm, especially 6th gear(auto), and go full throttle to check for any shuddering and slipping in converter/clutches
- Shake all drive shafts to check for any play in the output shafts of the transmission/transfer case and to check u-joints
- Inspect all tie-rod ends and steering rod ends for play and loose bushings
- Inspect all shocks and steering stabilizer and bushings for play/leaks
- Check the underside of the engine bay for oil leaks at timing cover, rear main, steering box, oil pan, and turbo.
- Check input/output of transfer case for front and rear shafts for leaks. Check for any ATF/etc on underside of cab, and mainly bed.
- Check all steering components from steering shaft to box to pitman arm
- Shake all wheels and tires for any bearing play
- Once fired up, check steering from lock to lock while standing still and moving listening for any popping, crunching, grinding, etc
- Remove differential fill plugs and check for fluid and check color of fluid.
- Check for codes and engine hours.

I know I have one hell of a list, but if there is anything I have missed, please let me know. I have been told by the wife this is the last truck I can get for a few years and I dont want to be stuck with some POS. Thanks CompD!
-Greg :snoop:

Last edited:
After you test drive and get it warm. Squeeze the upper radiator hose. It should be firm to soft. But not hard as a brick. If its super super hard you have stretched head bolts and need to retorque or to HG repair.

Also, you'll rarely have any bubbles to into the coolant/radiator. Unless its a huge crack in the head or cylender wall. The hard upper radiator hose is most common.

There's not going to be much soot in the intake boot or compressor housing. You'll Have more oil. Since the CCV filter dumps into the intake hose right before the turbo inlet.

Sounds like a good truck and hope it works out for the best.

Last edited: