Looking for f106/fds75 info

chevota84

Has anybody used a steering 106? Issues? I'm a little concerned about pinion strength.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That's what everyone switches to when they go away from a OEM front. Not really sure what your concern is with the Pinion. I have one laying here and it's the same chunk as the rear and they lived in the rears till about 1200 hp under the diesel trucks. That's what is going under mine this winter

I'm thinking about building one also not sure if I should go 106 front or build one using 106 center and military outers.. Any preference to which axles are better SCS or Profab??

I'm thinking about building one also not sure if I should go 106 front or build one using 106 center and military outers.. Any preference to which axles are better SCS or Profab??

I don't have a preference yet. This is the first one I will be doing but I would call Proformance Pros or Zbag

Yeah in the front they last pretty well, you can go several years on a used ring and pinion.
The teeth on the ring gear eventually start cracking[too hard]
Put a large fill plug[inspection] plug 2-3" in the front cover. You can keep an eye on ring gear.
The military/rockwell front combo is alittle cheaper and stronger, if you are going to narrow it anyway.
I don't know if anyone having success with reheat treating ring gears or cryotreatment ring and pinions.
I sure somebody has tried it with little ring and pinions you guys used in the past.

That's what everyone switches to when they go away from a OEM front. Not really sure what your concern is with the Pinion. I have one laying here and it's the same chunk as the rear and they lived in the rears till about 1200 hp under the diesel trucks. That's what is going under mine this winter
From what I can find, the pinions are 10 spline and smaller than a dana 80. We were looking at the gearhart engineering hybrid setup with 5 ton outers and axles but it adds a bunch of weight.

From what I can find, the pinions are 10 spline and smaller than a dana 80. We were looking at the gearhart engineering hybrid setup with 5 ton outers and axles but it adds a bunch of weight.

Pinion's themselves aren't a issues in the 106. The bearing support can be but in the front they hardly never have issues. That's what all the mod diesel trucks run and if they don't break them you won't.

Okay, that makes me feel better lol. Are they running the stock size axles or the 2" 5 ton stuff? For what it costs to build a 60 and what the 106's cost, it seems like a way better place to start.

i have been wanting a 14 bolt center with merritor two to one spider gear outers. we have been talking about it for a couple years but i haven't ever got around to building one out. a guy on pirate is putting one together. it should be bomb proof.

i have been wanting a 14 bolt center with merritor two to one spider gear outers. we have been talking about it for a couple years but i haven't ever got around to building one out. a guy on pirate is putting one together. it should be bomb proof.

D80 would be a better choice then a 14 bolt

If you go deep on gearing[6.20-7.20], shearing a pinion shaft not likely.
If you stay in the 4.10 area, you could shear pinions and break driveshafts.
You spin that stuff faster by gearing down and it takes the stress off it.

People do break the stock 106 front axles, but they are usually bouncing pretty bad.
Put the aftermarket 106 axles in once and you're good, might break a joint, but only if you are abusing it!

It'll get abused. It's for a mud truck, 1000-1200 hp turbo ls3 and 47" tractor tires. It's a long way from done but I'd at least like it to be a roller by spring.

Are pro fab aftermarket axles same as scs 2 part, 1 axle and 1 yoke or is the axle and yoke 1 piece

It'll get abused. It's for a mud truck, 1000-1200 hp turbo ls3 and 47" tractor tires. It's a long way from done but I'd at least like it to be a roller by spring.

My cousin has them in his monster trucks. It will be fine
Are pro fab aftermarket axles same as scs 2 part, 1 axle and 1 yoke or is the axle and yoke 1 piece

All aftermarket ones I've seen the yoke is splined and bolted onto the axle shaft. Stock are one piece

My cousin has them in his monster trucks. It will be fine

All aftermarket ones I've seen the yoke is splined and bolted onto the axle shaft. Stock are one piece
What's he running for shafts? It looks like the ouverson violators would be about $3200 from flange to spool, but I don't see much about them. King sling has ouverson built 106's but nobody seems to know exactly what's in them.

Last edited:
Ok. Randy seems to be the go to guy for all things rockwell lol

why? a 40 spline spool is avalible for a 14 bolt. and i can get 14 bolts for 100 bucks each.

14 bolts are weaker then the d80. Mild gas trucks break them easily and swap out for d80's. There no such thing as a bullet proof 14 bolt or they would be swapping them into the rears of all these diesel trucks and getting rid of the 80's.