looking for power estimates

cottondoc

new to site
I have a 1995 regular cab 4x4 that I'm building. It currently has a built 47rh with billet input, intermediate and output shafts and a dual disc billet converter. The motor is the stock short block with approximately 200K miles on it. It has good oil pressure and runs great. It has the original p7100 pump, but it has been modified. I had the work done on the pump, so I'm not 100% sure what all was done. I think it has Bosch 053 DV, DV springs and shims. I think more was done to the pump, but I'm not sure what. It also has 5x18 injectors and a billet wheeled s363 turbo on the stock manifold. The head is fire ringed. It also has heavy duty valve springs. Again, I might be forgetting some stuff, but these are the significant the modifications. Does anybody have any guess on roughly how much horsepower and torque the truck should make? The truck is an otherwise stock 1995 regular cab 4x4. Not sure exactly what it weighs but it should be pretty average weight for that type of truck. Anybody got any predictions for what it should run through the traps in the 1/4? I ran the truck on my local drag strip last weekend, but it broke a stud that connects the turbo to the manifold on the second pass. So I didn't really get to make a full, clean pass. It was pulling pretty good on the first pass, but I lifted about 50-100 feet short of the stripe. It ran 97 mph through the traps on that first pass. The ET was really slow because I made the first pass in 2 wheel drive. I launched in 4 wheel drive on the second pass, but at about the 1/8 mile it blew the gasket between the turbo and manifold and lost boost and power. I'm thinking about putting a built p7100 on it, maybe a 13mm pump and a big turbo in a compound setup over my s363. Any recommendations on a pump and compound turbo setup? Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

I'm curious, how drivable is it on the street with that turbo/injector combo

Pretty smokey on the street but manageable. It's not my only way to go but I've been driving it on the street daily for the last several weeks. If I'm really easy on the throttle, it hazes a little until you get up to 55 mph or so. Any significant throttle input results in a lot of smoke though. I live close to work and don't drive in town much so it is manageable. It's really just a toy and if I put a bigger pump and compounds on it, it will see mostly track duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would venture to guess high 400s for power and a mid 13 in the 1/4. I had a very similar setup previously in my 95. (64/74-14, 5x18s, 4K GSK, 024 DVs, and a cam and valve springs) made 518/907 in 3rd gear on a Dyno (never tried 4th for some reason) and ran 13.7 @107 in the 1/4 running in 2wd

What kind of timing are you running? What about the lift pump? Rack plug? That little stuff can be the difference between 450 and 550.

Should be 12's for sure on a hard launch.

You're high 12s-13s depending on tuning. All you really need is a 80mm under your current turbo to hit mid to low 11s. I did 11.0s with the 160hp pump, 62/80 and 5x18s.

I'm not sure on what timing the truck is running. I know it's advanced but I'm not sure how how. High enough it seems harder to crank than before. The lift pump is totally stock at the moment. It has 4K gov springs and a different rack plug. I know I should know these details but I'm too busy with work and family to build the truck myself. I hoping to change that going forward. Just trying to get some advice and direction on the future modifications now. I may just need to work on my tuning now. The truck currently shows about 48 pounds of boost at full throttle and around 1400 EGT. I was hoping to get around 500 at the wheels and high 12s at the track with what I currently have in the truck. The next step would be compounds and hopefully 100-150 more hp at the wheels. Thanks again for all the info and your time.

Last edited:
I know the injectors are big for the air I have but they were purchased with the intention of going to compounds and shooting for big power in the not too distant future. I didn't want to have to buy injectors twice. I'm just not too familiar with how much potential my injection pump has before I need to step it up. Also how much power will the stock short block stand? Thanks again

I run a similar combo if it helps....injectors sound good for the 160hp pump, they like big injectors.

I have a 160hp pump, Rack plug, full cut dv's, 5x18's, lift pump, 26 degrees, 57mm/71mm twins, truck makes 70psi, ran 7.76 at 89.5mph in the 1/8th mile, with a soft 1.77 60ft. Equates to 12.20-ish. 6700lb

Talked to my builder and he says the 160 pump is a weakness. He said this one seems to be one of the lower performing ones he has built. Anyway, I'm looking for a 180 or 215 pump. I've seen them on eBay for $750 for a 180 and a 215 on this forum for $850. I've also considered just buying a built 12mm street performance type pump from one of the vendors. Any thoughts on who makes a good street 12mm p pump? Would they be based off 180/215 pumps or would it matter? My current 160 pump has 4K gov springs and delivery valves. I would like enough pump for around 1K horsepower eventually. After the pump I'm planning compounds and shooting for 700-800 on the stock rotating assembly.

Also the truck recently developed a significant motor oil leak. Seemed to start almost overnight. It looks like it's coming from the drivers side of the motor near the front but I can't say for sure. Truck runs fine and has 40 pounds of oil pressure. Any thoughts where it might be coming from? Thanks for any info and your time.

Talked to my builder and he says the 160 pump is a weakness. He said this one seems to be one of the lower performing ones he has built. Anyway, I'm looking for a 180 or 215 pump. I've seen them on eBay for $750 for a 180 and a 215 on this forum for $850. I've also considered just buying a built 12mm street performance type pump from one of the vendors. Any thoughts on who makes a good street 12mm p pump? Would they be based off 180/215 pumps or would it matter? My current 160 pump has 4K gov springs and delivery valves. I would like enough pump for around 1K horsepower eventually. After the pump I'm planning compounds and shooting for 700-800 on the stock rotating assembly.

Also the truck recently developed a significant motor oil leak. Seemed to start almost overnight. It looks like it's coming from the drivers side of the motor near the front but I can't say for sure. Truck runs fine and has 40 pounds of oil pressure. Any thoughts where it might be coming from? Thanks for any info and your time.

Motor oil or power steering fluid?

Motor oil or power steering fluid?

Looks and smells like motor oil to me. I replaced the power steering lines a few months ago and haven't had any power steering leaks afterwards that I know of. Pretty positive this is motor oil.

I'm building a 97 very similar to yours. 180 pump with Seths touch. 5x18's with some upgraded DV's, not sure which ones yet. Twins for sure. I want good spool and decent top end. Shooting for 750WHp. I'd like to see how smokey yours runs when not babying it.

I'm building a 97 very similar to yours. 180 pump with Seths touch. 5x18's with some upgraded DV's, not sure which ones yet. Twins for sure. I want good spool and decent top end. Shooting for 750WHp. I'd like to see how smokey yours runs when not babying it.

It's currently pretty smokey for street driving but it's slowly transitioning to a track only truck anyway. The injectors were purchased big with the intention of more air with compounds in the not too distant future. I think compounds would clean the smoke up a lot and make it more drivable on the street.

I made 656 with 5x.018s, 191s, 5ks and a 467.7 last weekend with stock lift pump. 215 pump @ 25°....I'd say there is more in your setup for sure

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I ran a 13.71 @ 96 with 349/789 , 160 pump, 5x.010s , 026s from big blue, racked barrels and 16* timing and a pro comp black "pusher" pump. Hopefully you could hit somewhere in the 12s. My truck weighs 6200 with me in it and less than half a tank with both batteries, no spare tire. 15-20 psi launch 4 hi , locked shifts, no name billet single , precision industries billet input, Transgo shift kit with 175 psi line pressure and cheapo home built traction bars. 1.8 60' on 33s

Update: I had the tappet cover gasket replaced which fixed the oil leak. I also had the 160 pump replaced with a 215 pump benched by Northeast Diesel. I had my 6K springs and delivery valves from the 160 pump put in the 215 pump. The truck seemed to run pretty good, but I haven't been back to the track since getting the 215 pump. I've been daily driving the truck for several weeks but the last couple days it started acting unusual. Under heavy or full throttle the boost would go up then slowly drop. It also would not quite reach the 48-49 pounds it usually does. I figured it had a boost leak, and when I checked the boots, I found one loose with signs of boost leakage around it where the dust was blown off the tube. I tightened the boot and went for a test drive. Now the truck would again reach peak boost of 48-49, but it would still start to slowly drop off after a second or two at full boost/throttle. While it was doing this, I looked in the mirror and noticed it stopped smoking. So now the fuel is decreasing for some reason despite the throttle being floored. Any ideas? I'm running the stock lift pump. Is this how it would present if the stock lift pump was failing? Thanks for any info

Update: I had the tappet cover gasket replaced which fixed the oil leak. I also had the 160 pump replaced with a 215 pump benched by Northeast Diesel. I had my 6K springs and delivery valves from the 160 pump put in the 215 pump. The truck seemed to run pretty good, but I haven't been back to the track since getting the 215 pump. I've been daily driving the truck for several weeks but the last couple days it started acting unusual. Under heavy or full throttle the boost would go up then slowly drop. It also would not quite reach the 48-49 pounds it usually does. I figured it had a boost leak, and when I checked the boots, I found one loose with signs of boost leakage around it where the dust was blown off the tube. I tightened the boot and went for a test drive. Now the truck would again reach peak boost of 48-49, but it would still start to slowly drop off after a second or two at full boost/throttle. While it was doing this, I looked in the mirror and noticed it stopped smoking. So now the fuel is decreasing for some reason despite the throttle being floored. Any ideas? I'm running the stock lift pump. Is this how it would present if the stock lift pump was failing? Thanks for any info

I'm having the same problem with my truck right now. Will jump to 75lbs under full throttle and pulsate drop to 60 then go back up. You can feel the surging.