Looking into a Chevy/GMC

solow1k

thinking about making the move from my powerstroke over to a GM

My current truck is a 2004 powerstroke with all the bolt ons but stock turbo. Making around 440/850. I really like it but i would like to move to a dually and ive got some ?'s

-what year GM has the best auto trans, im not looking for manuals
-what year responds to typical bolt ons the best. chip, intake, exhaust, etc...
-how is the overall truck, my ford is really nice but the power plant is something to be desired.
-can you lower a 4wd dually? if so how far?
-which is the best chip, what do they cost?
-any issues fitting the bigger dually wheels? 22-24" when lowered

Sorry for all the dumb ?'s Any help is very appreciated.

thinking about making the move from my powerstroke over to a GM

My current truck is a 2004 powerstroke with all the bolt ons but stock turbo. Making around 440/850. I really like it but i would like to move to a dually and ive got some ?'s

-what year GM has the best auto trans, im not looking for manuals

01-05 automatics had the 5 speed Allison. 06-up they went to a six speed. Anything 100hp over stock and you will need trans upgrades. Stock for stock the six speed seems to hold more power than the 5 speed.

-what year responds to typical bolt ons the best. chip, intake, exhaust, etc...

LBZ (06-07) was the factory hot rod (365hp) and doesn't have the new emissions parts on it. Although they all respond well to bolt ons.

-how is the overall truck, my ford is really nice but the power plant is something to be desired.

I have an 05 and I'm happy with it. Depends on what you look for in a truck.

-can you lower a 4wd dually? if so how far?

Yes, how far do you want to go? Rear leaf shackles and lowering torsion bars will get you a couple inches.

-which is the best chip, what do they cost?

EFI Live if you want to buy one programmer for the life of the truck. It'll support anything from mild to wild. You can write your own tunes but it'll usually come with a couple tunes if you buy from a good tuner.
PPE if you're looking for a canned tuner and don't want to write your own.

-any issues fitting the bigger dually wheels? 22-24" when lowered

Not that I'm aware of, but you get into rubber band thickness tires pretty quick with a lowered GM.

Sorry for all the dumb ?'s Any help is very appreciated.

My opinions in red. Hope that helps.

I have a 02 chevy dually for sale in the classifieds if you are serious about it. Most of the upgrades are done, just needs a new home.

Thats more miles then im looking to get into, how far can these things go without running into major issues?

My opinions in red. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the help! I think from what ive researched i would like a quad cab GMC dually in 05/06 area. 2WD so i can get it low and put some nice wheels on it.

mine1.jpg

pheonix7.jpg

this is almost exactly how i would like it to sit.

To tow properly that low am i going to need a C notch? helper bags?

Also i would thinking EFI live, full exhaust to start with if you guys think that is ok? What size DP and exhaust do you guys usually run? I have 3" DP and 5" strait pipe on my ford and love it

EFI is the BEST tuner period, just buy it from a good tuner and he should set you up with a couple tunes to start. I run 4" turbo back, I believe its good to 500 hp. BTW that dually is awesome.

EFI is the BEST tuner period, just buy it from a good tuner and he should set you up with a couple tunes to start. I run 4" turbo back, I believe its good to 500 hp. BTW that dually is awesome.

X2. If you're going to lower that far, I would do helper bags. Not sure if you'll need a C notch, judging just from the pics, it doesn't look like that truck is low enough to need one. I could be wrong though. Best thing to do is look at who makes the lowest kit and if it requires a C notch.