Lost 5th gear

I had that one happen to my last trans. Good thing I had a back up sitting in the shop at the time.

I'll take that over broken 5th gears, twisted input etc. It is a good cheap weak link 2 hr fix.

Lost 5th on the run before last, to Texas.
2nd time since swapping to a 5 speed, in my 2wd 3/4 ton, and both times I was in light throttle after having come down a hill and just starting to accelerate after.
Just felt a "bump" and she revved, no more 5th. :(

The last time it was a 700 mile run back, lost it between Odessa and Abilene, basically fully loaded.

The only damage you'll probably cause on a long run, is the shaft will wear the threads off the nut. LOL

When I had the nut replaced, they used the spanner wrench, and a huge pipe wrench that matched the splines, butted to the frame rail.

I still expect to totally lose the trans by summer. :doh:

Mark.

I just spun it harder and ran ~ 63mph, just let 'er eat!
Thing is, as heavy as I was loaded, it got better mileage running in 4th.

Mark.

I've had good luck with 5th gear repair dot com. I lost OD in my NV a few times, before running across this. The first time, not knowing any better I just reused the stock nut with some loc tire and away I went. It wasn't long before I lost it again. Then I got the upgraded nut from Dodge, lost it appx. 10k miles after installation. It might go out tomorrow, if when it does I'll go to the upgraded shaft.

*I'm in no way affiliated with the previously mentioned company.

It's not letting me slip it into two gears at once for some reasons. Any gear will slide it easy by itself but once one is in I can't move another. I also can't move two at the same time.

My 4500 with all the possible upgrades performed flawlessly towing the heavy 5th wheel on an almost three month trip to the northwest two years ago. Got home, hooked up to my two wheel trailer, off to Ruidoso to pick up a golf cart, 5th gear let loose just east of Roswell. Now driving an auto gasser, no trailer in tow, and loving it.