Lost 6th gear!

mhuggler

One piece at a time
Yesterday I was just cruising around when I noticed a slight noise when I was in 6th gear. It didn't take long before it turned into loud grinding. It was even shaking the shifter! Oddly enough, all the other gears work just fine so I limited myself to 5th gear when I took it to the dealer. Hopefully they won't notice the items you see in my sig. when applying warranty!:hehe: Has this happened to anyone else? I thought only the 5spds. had this issue.:poke:

First I've heard of it happening with a 5600, most common "uh-oh" on them seems to be the rear output bearing.

I still haven't heard back from the dealer yet. Anyone have any idea what might have happened?

Well, I just got my truck back from the dealer. Believe it or not they just put a new tranny in without needing any prodding from me.:hehe: I couldn't get them to tell me what initially failed in the transmission, but they did tell me 6th gear had all of it's teeth ripped off. I guess if there's going to be carnage you might as well go 100% with it!:evil

First I've heard of it happening with a 5600, most common "uh-oh" on them seems to be the rear output bearing.

i stripped all the teeth off 6th with roughly 420hp, going about 55-60mph at low rpm in 6th, needed to get in front of the car next to me to get off my exit, rolled into the throttle to speed up when all hell broke loose.

low rpm high tq pulls in 6th will do it. Jason Czerak on here did the exact same thing. Low rpm strain in 6th gear and bye bye teeth.

Wow. Never heard of a 5600 turning lose quit like that. You mean to tell me you have an '02 with warranty left? Did you purchase an additional 100K mile policy or what? Original power train was only like 3yr/35K when I bought mine. Kudos to the dealer, huh? :D

When I bought the truck I got the optional 7yr./70k warranty. I still haven't broke 60k with it yet.

Or don't drive enough! My 01 has 220k and has been relegated to occasional use for almost a year! :bang