Loud oil pump whine after Pacbrake Remote Oil Filter install

jcarrick

Hey guys,
Just to preface,I have searched high and low for answers on this, talked to Pacbrake, and have not found anything.

The truck I am working on is my 1997 F350 with a 12v Cummins with an hx35/HT3B compound turbo setup. Changing the oil with the compounds was always a royal PITA so I decided to spend the money and install a remote oil filter kit, Pacbrake to be exact. I mounted the remote filter head on the frame rail with rubber inbetween the filter head and frame. Once I got the job all finished up I fired it up, checked for leaks and took it for a test drive. There was not much more noticeable noise outside the truck, but inside the truck there is a very loud oil pump whine. I double checked and made sure the oil hoses were not touching the body in any place. I also noticed that since installing the remote filter kit when I get on it, and it revs up fast, the oil pressure gauge goes down a bit and flutters until I back out of the throttle. Its almost like the pump is cavitating or something...

Just to clarify, the symptoms listed above started immediately after installing the remote filter kit.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on what the issue is or how to remedy the sound?

Thank you!

-Jon

Is it possible that you mixed up the oil feed and return lines to where it's feeding the oil filter backwards?

Also, did you use the supplied -8 lines or did you produce your own lines?

On a very similar note....I simply ran a 36" long, 1/8" NPT, steel-braided, grease gun type hose from one of the ports on top of the filter housing on my '09 to a pressure sensor mounted in a rubber ring clamp. I have a whine now that it is on the truck. Probably some of the same annoying voodoo that yours is doing.

Is it possible that you mixed up the oil feed and return lines to where it's feeding the oil filter backwards?

Also, did you use the supplied -8 lines or did you produce your own lines?

That's what my initial thought was, but the lines go from the same position on the original oil filter location to the remote head (if that makes sense). Pacbrake said that was the proper way to install them.

Yes I did. I have heard that the supplied lines could be too small possibly?

On a very similar note....I simply ran a 36" long, 1/8" NPT, steel-braided, grease gun type hose from one of the ports on top of the filter housing on my '09 to a pressure sensor mounted in a rubber ring clamp. I have a whine now that it is on the truck. Probably some of the same annoying voodoo that yours is doing.

Sounds like it could definitely be the same. It is really the most obnoxious thing... I would rather deal with the PITA oil changes with compound turbos than have this stupid whining sound, haha.