louder exhaust

i thought duals would make it loud all around cause you got noise coming from both sides of the truck it would be purdy loud if you did duals before the tires but i dont know if you could go that route due to the driveshaft being in the way but im just throwing out there

i like mufflers now myself to after running a 4 inch shorty straight pipe with a hx40, now im def in my right ear.

I don't mind loud, as long as it sounds good. To me loud is pointless if it sounds like ass. When I first got my 02 it was straight 3", and I didn't like the sound much. A month later I got 5" aussies... would drive around in winter with the electric slider open just to hear it. The sound that stacks give to a Cummins, wether its an ISB or an ISX... is unbeatable. Not as loud outside as forest said, but the sound more then makes up for the slight drop in loudness.

MBRP 5" is a damn nice sounding exhaust too. :Cheer:

9712valve...you still running an HX35?

yup, i just hit 50psi with my boost elbow adjusted out quite a bit tonight, with it all the way in i maxed out my 60psi boost gauge, and i decided thats no fun, so back out my boost elbow a little bit, and now im limited to 50psi i have an 18.5cm exhaust housing that will be going on shortly, maybe that will help a little :Cheer: i plan on throwing a fierce single on the truck like a 64/71/12 and eventually an s480 under it maybe. im shooting for 425-450 on my stock hx35 if i make more even better, but the truck runs STRONG who knows.

Last edited:
I kind of disagree with some of you on the loudness or 2 stacks over one. Mine was loud with duals then got quiter when I changed it to 1 5" then I changed turbos and put a 7" stack on. It wuited it down alot but now that the resonator is off it is brutally loud inside and worse in the back seat. If you want to have a conversation back there you better resort to yelling.

I kind of disagree with some of you on the loudness or 2 stacks over one. Mine was loud with duals then got quiter when I changed it to 1 5" then I changed turbos and put a 7" stack on. It wuited it down alot but now that the resonator is off it is brutally loud inside and worse in the back seat. If you want to have a conversation back there you better resort to yelling.

2 6" stacks is quieter then 1 6" stack due to less bends in the exhaust system, and i would have to say a short length exhaust is louder too, being closer to the cab is obviously gonna be louder in the cab.

I have a single 4" right out back of my cab and if you open the slider I can't see how it could get louder except maybe in the cab lol. As much haze as my 12v likes to give off can't imagine i'd live long enough to report back how that'd sound lol

Damn you're a jerk, their stuff rocks:hehe::poke: As soon as I sell my dual 8" stacks I am going to buy some mbrp....

sorry, a few too many last night! LOL!

I just hate how soft and gutless the packed mufflers sound... sounds like a stock catted truck w/ a muffler delete pipe.

I kinda like the sound of the Aeroturbine 5050xl mufflers. They have a real nice mellow tone. I got a really good deal ($40) on a flo-pro brand I believe, so thats what im running. It sounds alright I guess, just a lil too raspy for me. Oh well its coming off this spring anyway when I put my 2nd gen exhaust manifold on.:rockwoot:

who makes a 5" muffler that gives some bark, like my old gasser cherry bombs

dynomax bullet series, i've got one on my truck now, perforated core, and from the looks of it no packing. 5" I/O, 6" case diameter, 21" overall length

It's not as edgy as a straight stack, but it's plenty loud for a muffler

dynomax bullets are packed... they eat up turbine sound and don't really cut down resonance much IMO

I think I actually had less resonance with straight pipe than the bullet, and about 5x the turbo sound out of the exhaust

damn, i looked in both ends of my bullet and saw no packing. My 6" mitre gave me a headache on anything longer than a 5minute trip

with that said, the bullet still rattles my back glass.... probably due to it barely poking above the top of the bedside. Going to get a 45 elbow and turn it out soon.

Back