lower temp thermostat ?

scott 06

already broke
Does anyone know where I can find a lower temp thermostat for instance 180 or lower looking to keep our 12v puller cooler it is only a competition truck no street use, running a electric water pump. I tested our current 190 thermostat and it doesn't open till 200

We haven't been able to find one and from what I know Cummins doesn't supply one. I know our friend with a 2.6 truck drilled a small hole in the tstat and he was able to get it under 170

Rock Auto sent me a Stant 180 as the replacement they carry for a 1996 12valve

OK thanks maybe I'll do a 180 n drill some holes I have heard of drilling holes but I'm not sure where to drill them any one have a explanation or a pic they could share

you drill the flat surface to allow the coolant to flow past the valve portion.

OK thanks maybe I'll do a 180 n drill some holes I have heard of drilling holes but I'm not sure where to drill them any one have a explanation or a pic they could share

If I recall correctly look in the junker drag truck thread, I know holes were illustrated in the thermostat but not sure they were for the purposes of opening the stat at a lower temp.

Ive put a 1/8" hole in a 190° and it was too much for a street truck. Could barely get to 170° staying at steady rpm on interstate. Might be perfect for a pulling truck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I use an electric fan and have lots of holes drilled in mine. Shut the fan off and she will warm up.

I drilled 2 3/16 holes in my cummins t stat and it wouldnt get to temp on the street. I filled one and its still slow to get to full temp but coolant runs around 186 in summer temps....it will cool off if i idle....mine are in the side because this thermostat is different from the ones from the parts house

Scott I have 3 1/8" holes drilled in my t stat, drilled them on the flat piece that the spring pushes. Drill ended up being right next to the bridge lookin piece and went through right next to the spring

Back