Lowered 4wd Guys, Death Wobble....Track Bar?

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
What are ya'll Doing for a Track Bar and/or death wobble on a lowered 4wd Truck? I Made my best pass this past weekend of 10.8 @ 124 and the truck death wobbled terribly when I started to slow down. My track Bar is loose and I don't want to have to replace it again. The Truck is an 02' Dodge with 08+ steering upgrade and about 2 coils cut (to Give example of how it sits). Truck is strictly a race truck and isn't on the street anymore

20150328_145203.jpg

FB_IMG_1439163297466.jpg

In on this. Don't have that problem yet but I'm getting close to giving my front end a makeover
Very good looking truck by the way. Not trying to derail but what all is done to it?

How many degrees of caster do you have now with your new link geometry?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Solid bushing on the frame end, and a solid heim on the axle end.

I know my Track Bar ( panhard) is bad. I just dont want to do things twice. But I'm not positive if thats whats causing the death wobble, which It has only done this once. This truck will eventually head towards Pro-street when funds more allow.

caster Hasn't been changed. all suspension is stock. Ball joints are new and tight, wheel bearings are new and tight. Steering is all decently new (08 dodge upgrade or whatever), Carli Low Mount stabilizer. Track Bar is original and steering box is original that has been tightened.

Last edited:
I thought we were talking about track bars?
We were. I screwed up.

I would double check caster since the frame is closer to the axle.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i had this problem when i lowered mine. i put my eccentric bolts all the way forward to get the most caster i could, it made a huge diffrence. i also have a trac bar i made with dom tubing and a set of factory third gen bushings to get the axle centered under the truck again.

i had this problem when i lowered mine. i put my eccentric bolts all the way forward to get the most caster i could, it made a huge diffrence. i also have a trac bar i made with dom tubing and a set of factory third gen bushings to get the axle centered under the truck again.

On the lower Control arms I assume?

do you have any pics of your trac bar?

You need to convert to a 3rd Gen style track bar and run either THUREN or Carli adjustable track bar.

Here's more info with regard to which conversion bracket to run.

http://dodgetrucksxtreme.com/index.php?topic=11284.0

Also feel free to call Carli and ask for Radio, he will be happy to help and give you all the info you could want.

Given these guys on DTX jump their trucks and expect full suspension travel without binding you should be fine with your lowered drag racing application.

Good Luck!

Are you running a 2nd gen style track bar?"?
I have a 3rd gen style with a adjustable track bar (for stock to +2.5" from when it was leveled). I'm planning on getting a shorter bar and am very open to suggestions for track bar and control arm length, I'm at a similar height in front
BF169595-7226-4305-8708-F6D2C74EEDA7.jpg

4B7287F3-72DA-481D-8DB4-BD27D8705C7E.jpg

How is you clearance with '08+ steering? Mine is too close and I'm not sure how I'll go about fixing it yet. I've considered cutting the end of the stud and maybe finding a pitman arm with less drop
F0B90C33-13C4-4EEA-9E9C-6888F93350F6.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the other thing to think about, do you need the full length of the stock track bar? I would say no.

You’ve drastically cut your travel down from stock by stiffening the springs substantially.
If you make a shorter track bar, you’re going to get some bump steer when the suspension flexes since the length is different and the angle is not in line with the drag link, but you can cut flexibility out of the track bar if you shorten it.

There’s a pretty perfectly placed crossover that you could mount off of, you could build a tower off your axle, and do a track back that’s completely horizontal at ride height. Just buy two 3/4"x3/4” heims for it. You should be set at that point and if you change heights, it’d be easily adjustable within a couple inches.

When I lowered my truck I also went ahead and did the inverted T setup and also bought a new track bar. I used to get the death wobbles really bad on the street before the new parts. Cut 1 1/2 coils and took the factory blocks out. Its been 3 years and i have not had any issues. I do plan on going a different route with the steering/suspension but it holds up pretty well. Im not as low as some of you are but the track bar alone made a huge difference.

How far can you drop the rear and not run into driveshaft length problems? Say I removed the factory 4 3/4 block and just put a 2" in there??

Back