Lowered 4wd Guys, Death Wobble....Track Bar?

Mine is all stock and basically sits on the front bump stops. No issues to report, ever in that category.

Hope not! Hate to have to shorten my aluminum one piece driveshaft. Damn thing is pretty much new and was expensive haha

How far can you drop the rear and not run into driveshaft length problems? Say I removed the factory 4 3/4 block and just put a 2" in there??

I took my blocks completely out and the driveshaft should be shortened a couple inches. With a 2" block you might get away with it. One piece shaft, regular cab long bed

Mine is all stock and basically sits on the front bump stops. No issues to report, ever in that category.

Maybe its because my track bar is bad. But Thats good info because mine is basically the same height. I cut the factory bumpstops in half

Control arm length and caster are the two things that are still a mystery to me. Are most of you guys on stock control arms?

I've still never experienced death wobble lol

I'm running a solid adjustable bar, with heims. Lowered to the bump stops, I had to get shorter upper arms to keep the caster right so that the steering didn't go crazy on bumps.

When I removed blocks in the rear, and the overload, I had to shorten the driveshaft 4.75"

I took my blocks completely out and the driveshaft should be shortened a couple inches. With a 2" block you might get away with it. One piece shaft, regular cab long bed

I went from a Carli add-a-leaf set down to factory leaves with no blocks, and had no driveshaft problems. Still had about 3/4" travel on the slip yoke, vs. the ~1" when lifted.

I've still never experienced death wobble lol

I'm running a solid adjustable bar, with heims. Lowered to the bump stops, I had to get shorter upper arms to keep the caster right so that the steering didn't go crazy on bumps.

I had never experienced it either until then.... Although there was a bump or pothole right past the traps.... I hit it, the truck felt fine for a second... then I lifted and it started wobbling terribly. the track bar is the only thing that I could find with play. Although it is original as far as I know.

Mine is ECLB. Fingers crossed, blocks on the way.

How far can you drop the rear and not run into driveshaft length problems? Say I removed the factory 4 3/4 block and just put a 2" in there??

I took the factory rear blocks out of my 95 regular cab 4wd and put 2" blocks in and it works fine. Truck rides level now.

Are any of you that took the rear blocks out still using the stock DS? If so, how did you get the carrier bearing aligned? I've seen Carrier bearing drop kits but nothing to raise it. I'm eventually going to get the one piece DS but trying to get by without it for now.

You guys wanting to discuss driveshaft length and rear suspension, Just make your own thread.

-We Found That Toe Was roughly 25 Degrees out.
-All 4 Tires had spun on the Wheels, I had heard of this, but never thought a Diesel would do it.
-Of Course the Track bar was bad, so we installed a SSI bar and relocation Bracket.

I havent made any passes yet, but we have the Diesel Thunder Race This weekend, so I'll Definetly know if this was the cause.

I chased the death wobble with my truck for a long time. It would only do it when I ran over 127 mph when I let off. I did many things to try to stop it. First I made new custom control arms that were solid on one end adjustable on the other. I also made solid bushings for my track bar. I had everything tightened up in the front so there was not much play in it at all just enough for it to move. I also had it lined up and set to the factory specs. I went to the track and it was better but still had a little shake in it . It was good on a good track but if I got it on a rough track you better hold on it was scarry stuff at 140. I talked to a couple of guys that had the same problem on a street trucks and they had put a steering box stabilizer on theirs and it took care of it. So I went out and bought one and put it on and that took care of it for me too . I have ran 147 with it and no shake anymore .

I chased the death wobble with my truck for a long time. It would only do it when I ran over 127 mph when I let off. I did many things to try to stop it. First I made new custom control arms that were solid on one end adjustable on the other. I also made solid bushings for my track bar. I had everything tightened up in the front so there was not much play in it at all just enough for it to move. I also had it lined up and set to the factory specs. I went to the track and it was better but still had a little shake in it . It was good on a good track but if I got it on a rough track you better hold on it was scarry stuff at 140. I talked to a couple of guys that had the same problem on a street trucks and they had put a steering box stabilizer on theirs and it took care of it. So I went out and bought one and put it on and that took care of it for me too . I have ran 147 with it and no shake anymore .

Thats Good Info Because I trapped @ 125 I think and It was a rough Track.

Back