M-11 powered FL-70

I understand now. The cam just forces the fuel in the cylinder and the solenoid controls how much goes in.

So it's a shorter duration injection with maybe a higher pressure. Makes sense.

A set of injectors and a cam sensor later it still does the same thing. He said it still blows smoke but the roughness is gone. The ecm is getting tested in the morning.

It will need to be run hard a few minutes to burn out residual fuel in the cylinders from the bad injectors and the fuel rail draining during the injector change.

Clean the metal micro filter on the fuel pump. Its under a cone shaped cap at the drive end of the pump. Fuel pressure should be 150psi consistent. A bad fuel pressure damper can cause smoke too.

Check that the manifold pressure, manifold temperature and barometer sensors are reading correctly. Either of the two pressure sensors erroneously high will make it smoke like crazy.
I had one that read just 3psi boost at idle and it was enough to make it fail the 20% opacity emissions test.
The ISC's in our fleet had their barometers calibrated to show 18,000ft altitude so they wouldn't smoke at all.

The truck is up and running again. One injector was bad and overfueling. I'll look for the screen in the pump. Its probably never been touched.

Back