made my own 2 LOW kit for free.

terminaltsi

dirty
so i really wanted to be able to use 2 low for backing my trailer and other uses.
well, i looked at the vac system and figured out a way to make it happen.
having built several turbo mitsubishi eclipses, i am very familiar with their systems and kjnew that the factory boost control solenoid could be used to control the vac to the front axle on our trucks.
i simply spliced the boost control solenoid ( not needed on a tuned eclipse turbo) into the vac line on the firewall. then i grounded one wire and supplied power through a switch inside the cab. no relay needed as it's a very low current device.
the mitsu solenoid is a normally closed valve, so applying voltage opens the vac ports and allows vacuum through to the front axle.
so normally, i'd leave the voltage off for normal driving. so i don't burn up the solenoid by having 100% duty cycle. when throwing the transfer case lever into LOW wit hte switch off, i get 2 LOw. if i want 4 low, i just flip the switch, and vac passes through the solenoid and the system works as originally designed.

works great and cost me nothing as I had the mitsu part just sitting around anyway.
anybody have any questions, just let me know.
the boost control solenoid can be used from 90-99 mitsu eclipse turbo, plymouth laser turbo, eagle talon turbo and a few others but these will be the easiest to find.
fyi, the fuel pressure solenoid can also be used. you 'll find this up by the fuel rail in a factory turbo car. the boost solenoid will be on teh passenger side under the airbox.

her's a pic of my install:

IMG00006.jpg

Is that a part that you can pick up at an Autozone? Have a part number that I could use to look up?

Thanks for posting this info!

I did the same on my truck years ago. I forget the PN for the solenoid I used. It is very nice to have.

I completely agree, I rarely tow a trailer of any size, but still there are many times that I use 4lo to back up an incline nice and slow. Slipping the clutch is out of the question with my LUK, kinda grabby lol. I just make sure to set up the truck so that I can keep the steering wheel as straight as possible. 2lo will rock. Now I will just need to figure out a place to hide a switch.

Is that a part that you can pick up at an Autozone? Have a part number that I could use to look up?

Thanks for posting this info!

i doubt that it's available at parts stores. try a junkyard, it's usually pretty easy to find a totalled turbo eclipse/talon/laser. or make friends with some import guys; one of them is bound to have one of those cars and isnt' using his bcs because it's one of the first things to be removed when modding one.
remember, you can also use the fuel pressure solenoid, it works the same and looks the same and most people don't use those either.

I have 2-low in my 02...when I remove the front driveshaft LOL.

No option like that for me unfortunately. Definitely a pain to back up the gooseneck in 4-low while turning.