Manual Conversion

AKDuramax

Rice-Burner Burner
My auto is about to crap out on me, and i wanted a manual in the first place. I've got a good deal from a buddy on a NV4500 5 speed with 10K on it out of his wrecked 02 cummins 4x4, comes with clutch pedal, slave cylinder and master cylinder. What all do I need to do to do this conversion? What clutch should I go with? Truck is in the signiature.

Look for a clutch in the 500HP rated range, if you plan to abuse it at all I would go with a Dual Disk unit since they can take it MUCH better. Other than that the wiring and electrical will be your biggest concern.

You will probably have to get your ECM and/or PCM reflashed with code for the manual tranny since the programs are different for auto shifters. See if you can get the ECM and PCM off the donor truck for free. You may need them.

The tranny is holding up good, but the the fluid keeps burning up on me. I check it every oil change and i changed it last time, and the other day i checked it and it smelled waaay burnt. Been doing that for the last few months...Thats what I get for not buying it new I suppose.

the stk auto pcm will work fine i put a auto in after my manual and used a manual pcm and lost my speedo put the auto pcm back in and everything is fine

Jeremy just did it with my truck. Your going to throw codes until you get the pcm/ecm figured out. We did a 6spd though. it runs fine about 50% of the time. The other 50% it's in limp mode. We got ahold of Bob Wagner and got the right software sent with a smarty that i was planning to stack once i got the trans done. other than that though, everything should bolt up.

hmm well idk i did my 12v and no check engine light and i also did a buddy of mines 01 24v vp truck and no check engine light everything worked and we also tried on his to swap the pcm but all we had was a 99 and his was all messed up so we put in his 01 auto pcm and still driving it just fine maybe it works on some and others not heck idk

i will agree with you if you can have bob reflash it with the right software then thats the right way to do it

That's interesting about the tranny. Does it slip at all or act funky?

It's been shifting weird lately, like its hunting for gears. It'll drop down like when you hit OD off button, but then it will shift back up, then grab the next and bog down when the tc locks up, then act normal for a few miles, and do it again. Confusing the heck out of me.

The guy already sold the motor and wiring and pcm/ecm modules with it, I've got the tranny, stick, clutch, slave cylinder and master cylinder on a pallet in my garage. one of my instructors from college works for our dealership, so i'll ask him if i could give him a case of beer to re-flash ti for me some weekend. we'll see how it goes.