manual to auto swap

6spd

My truck is a 04.5 nv5600 and I am wandering if a auto out of an 07 will work. Like do an even trade for transmissions and parts.

The transmission, adapter plate, tcase, drive shafts, transmission mount and crossmember will swap out directly, but being an 04.5 you need to swap to a 04.5 engine, transmission and body harness out of an automatic since the manuals have the tps in the body harness under the battery and the auto's have the tps on the head off the engine harness in the auto trucks. Then the 04.5 steering column takes a different shifter arm then the 06+ trucks, interior floor bezel is slightly different also. We did a swap in Chris Hart's (cummins95) 04.5 with an 06 auto truck and we had 28.5 hrs in the swap to do it right and make it work and look like an OEM auto truck.

Lavon

...We did a swap in Chris Hart's (cummins95) 04.5 with an 06 auto truck and we had 28.5 hrs in the swap to do it right and make it work and look like an OEM auto truck.

Lavon

Not to mention the nightmare of finding the harnesses you guys needed, since there was no donor truck.

Mark.

A manual VB with a ratchet shifter is a FFAAAARRRR easier route, but that also depends on what youre doing with the truck.

A manual VB with a ratchet shifter is a FFAAAARRRR easier route, but that also depends on what youre doing with the truck.

I would really rather have this set up since I don't daily drive it

So on yours you just added the auto transmission harness and adapted the TV cable to the manual TPS?

Lavon

We didn't change any harnesses. I remanufactured the TPS for the kickdown and Jason had me get a manual VB for the trans. 4th and lock-up are controlled by PacBrake switches mounted to the new floor shifter from LoKar. They seem to be pretty reliable so far. No engine or trans lights or codes and no reflashing of the computers at all. I had a lot of hours in reworking the TPS to work just right but it hasn't failed in the few years since I built it and it uses an OEM kickdown cable.

So on yours you just added the auto transmission harness and adapted the TV cable to the manual TPS?

Lavon

The manual TPS was modified with some auto TPS parts to accept a trans cable. It's mounted in the same location, under the battery in fact.

The electrical harness is just there to supply power and ground for the backup lights, lockup and OD. My VB is a manual VB. Zero changes to the ECU.

As far as the T-case. swapping to something newer than the 04.5 one is probably a bad idea. The input shaft needed to be changed in the t-case to retain the manual T-case setup and a more "stock fit". Need a longer drive shaft (or swapped) and the t-case shifter shaft will need to be shortened. The cross member is just flipped around. Front drive shaft needed to be shortened (or swapped)

The manual TPS was modified with some auto TPS parts to accept a trans cable. It's mounted in the same location, under the battery in fact.

The electrical harness is just there to supply power and ground for the backup lights, lockup and OD. My VB is a manual VB. Zero changes to the ECU.

As far as the T-case. swapping to something newer than the 04.5 one is probably a bad idea. The input shaft needed to be changed in the t-case to retain the manual T-case setup and a more "stock fit". Need a longer drive shaft (or swapped) and the t-case shifter shaft will need to be shortened. The cross member is just flipped around. Front drive shaft needed to be shortened (or swapped)

Ah, forgot you had a manual vb, thats easy as pie.

Lavon

Jasonczerak how do you like your set up

I like it. There are some gotchya's with the lokar shifter, it's not gated between every shift and in the 3rd gen interior it needed some bending to clear the center console and dash so I can at least access Reverse to 1st. Park is to far forward so I just use the parking brake in neutral for parking (just like a manual would). One can easily just miss 3rd or forget your in 3rd and go to neutral under load, or easily go from 3rd to 2nd. (1st is gated going form 2nd to 1st). So it has a little learning curve.

If you ran a 47RE/RH with a normal VB for 1st-3rd and just used switches for OD/lockup or got an ATS controller or something, one could install the shifter to use Park, but couldn't get it into 1st, but normal "drive" would be there obviously.

This setup is defiantly cheaper than going a full electronic VB and is a bit of fun with some old school control. :)

I could modify another 04.5 TPS like I did to Jason Czeraks truck for the kickdown.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/331036_10150448333613662_1562500721_o.jpg

We didn't change any harnesses. I remanufactured the TPS for the kickdown and Jason had me get a manual VB for the trans. 4th and lock-up are controlled by PacBrake switches mounted to the new floor shifter from LoKar. They seem to be pretty reliable so far. No engine or trans lights or codes and no reflashing of the computers at all. I had a lot of hours in reworking the TPS to work just right but it hasn't failed in the few years since I built it and it uses an OEM kickdown cable.
I know it's an old thread, but do you have any more pictures of that apps or some more details. I'm doing the same thing right now And some help in the right direction would be appreciated.

I got one of the 03-04 head mounted apps and have both all torn apart to do what csynder did. Did you just take the metal cam out of the auto one and drill the holes to fit the shaft of the 04.5? What about where the pedal cable goes? On the auto one the little knob is a bit bigger. I'm thinking of cutting the knob off the auto one and try welding the little 04.5 knob onto the older cam so then I just have to drill some holes in it and then it should work. I hope any more pics of inside that apps or anything else would be a lot of help.

Csynders pics were on his old cpu so I was Askin if anyone else had pics of a similar process?