Manual Trans. average temps.

oldsmokey97

Just went on a long road trip with some buddies of mine pulling a 36ft 5th wheel camper. The truck is an '01 Dodge with a 6-speed. We had put an Edge Juice w/ attitude it in a couple weeks earlier.
When we put it in... we had tapped the PTO cover on the tranny for a temp. gauge. We drained the fluid (truck has 80,000 miles on it) and put it back in along with about another quart to compensate.

Anyways.. on the long haul we would reach temps around 270*f. I was just wondering what temp other people were getting in a standard tranny. If anyone else even has a sensor in the tranny. Im pretty curious though.

Lance

I've got a G-56 6-speed that I have a guage on.

For normal driving, it never gets above 140° F. Last weekend I towed a 31' travel trailer about 500 miles in 70° weather, and the trans temp got to 185°.

The highest I've seen the trans get is about 220° on a 58 hour trip towing, only stopping for gas.

I'm not sure, but 270 sounds a little high?

--Eric

G56's aluminum case & lower internal friction make a difference.

My 01 had a 4500 and coming out of Colorado I had the temp higher than that and never hurt anything.

My 01 6 speed has seen a max of 270 don't watch it too often though somdont know what it normally runs.

Manual 5-speed on my '96 has gotten up to 235-240F towing a light travel trailer into a headwind on a warm day (high 80s).