Map Width Groove HP charger

Tough to do on a turbo that is a 62mm inducer but has a 4" inlet size. Even if you kept the piping at 2.75", you'd still need a transition hose to adapt it. Would it really benefit to have two transitions right before the inducer?

a general rule of thumb: to achieve fully developed flow (to eliminate the VC or any other flow irregulatities) there would need to be a straight section of pipe equal to 7 pipe diameters in front of the inducer...

but space under the hood wont allow this.

if you want to make a modification to the inducer area that would actually be beneficial, machine a radius and blend it into the throat of the inducer section just before the MWE groove.

for a 62mm inducer the radius would be 10mm

when you are done, this is what you would have.

Attachments

• MWE1.JPG
    MWE1.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MWE.JPG
    MWE.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
I suggest you try something real-world... how does the exhaust restriction effect spool-up? it slows it.
No. Exhaust flow has no effect on compressor surge.

a more restrictive air filter will lessen compressor bark!
Incorrect. That will reduce the noise audible to your ears, not the actual surge.

No. Exhaust flow has no effect on compressor surge.

Incorrect. That will reduce the noise audible to your ears, not the actual surge.

exhaust flow has an effect on spool-up, does it not? :confused:

if you have a tight turbine section and are able to spool the turbo quicker than the engine can accept the air IT WILL GO INTO SURGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you induce a restriction that prevents the turbo from spooling up so quickly, guess what happens to that surge?

but what do I know, I only had a fully controllable VNT turbo where I could make incremental changes in spool-up characteristics.

I could dial it in to the gnat's ass. I had an AFE 5 layer on the truck, and I had to remap slightly after I cleaned the filter. The added flow was enough to send the compressor into surge. And when I say surge, I'm not talking about that little walking the line flutter, I'm talking full on woof woof barking.

been there, done it in the real world, not between the pages of Bell's book