Marine AMP's? Looking for good but not show quailty

TRUBBS

Can You Keep Up?
Looking to do a system in my boat (2002 18.2' searay open bow)
Planning on 4 tower speakers & 4-6 reg 6x9 speakers

Probably going to run Rockford fosgates unless you guys can recommend something else?
Along with just a good single 10 or 12" sub under one of the back seats.

Now Ive been told I'll need atleast 2 amps if not 4 so I'm looking for suggestions on what amp I should go with?

Not looking to make this a show build, just looking for decent system that sounds great on the water & hits hard.

I've got a jbl marine amp I believe it is 180w in my rzr. It's pushing two Memphis wake towers and does very well. Got it off Amazon for like $80

thanks for the replys guys, ill look into them. that Jbl sounds like a decent set up.

what size/gauge wire will i need to run for the amps and speakers? will be running 8 total 200 watt rockford speakers

almost anything....... its the amplifiers and subs that pull the big amps. 16 gauge 14 gauge, hell, 18 might work but new speakers typically come with at least some new wire. you could use that as a rule of thumb,...... and don't get solid.... you want stranded., good luck!!!!

almost anything....... its the amplifiers and subs that pull the big amps. 16 gauge 14 gauge, hell, 18 might work but new speakers typically come with at least some new wire. you could use that as a rule of thumb,...... and don't get solid.... you want stranded., good luck!!!!

Thank you.
Buddy of mine recommended 18-20 gauge for the speakers.

What size do you think I'll need for the amps & sub?

There are so many things wrong with that statement it's not even funny.

To the original question...Alpine has some marine amps in their PDX line. Class D amps are a great choice for boats...low current draw. I'd run a minimum of 14 gauge since the runs tend to be longer in boats.

amp%2Bgauge.png

heres a cheat sheet for the "genius's " depends on how big of sup and amp and brand you go with.
easy way to figure it out.... match the amp to the sub you want or vice versa. look at the back of the amp and there will be a fuse(s) add all of the fuses together. that's your amperage. ex . (amp has three 25 amp fuses. then that amp CAN (not will) pull up to 75 amps. then figure out where you want to mount the amp and sub(s) and use the chart above.

I would run 1 class D mono block amp for the sub or subs. then a class A 4 channel amp for the highs.

There are so many things wrong with that statement it's not even funny.

To the original question...Alpine has some marine amps in their PDX line. Class D amps are a great choice for boats...low current draw. I'd run a minimum of 14 gauge since the runs tend to be longer in boats.

I was hoping you'd see this and chime in.
I'll be running four (4) Rockford m282 8" tower speakers (200watt each)
Four (4) 6.5 Rockford marine mids (200 watts each)
And one single 10" or 12" marine sub. ( unsure what brand would be best)

How many amps & what size do you suggest I run?
I was going to get Rockford amps to keep it all the same brand thinking it would probably work better? Or is there a Brett choice like you mentioned above?
What is your thought on that?

Last edited:
heres a cheat sheet for the "genius's " depends on how big of sup and amp and brand you go with.
easy way to figure it out.... match the amp to the sub you want or vice versa. look at the back of the amp and there will be a fuse(s) add all of the fuses together. that's your amperage. ex . (amp has three 25 amp fuses. then that amp CAN (not will) pull up to 75 amps. then figure out where you want to mount the amp and sub(s) and use the chart above.

I would run 1 class D mono block amp for the sub or subs. then a class A 4 channel amp for the highs.

Your chart shows exactly what I said...minimum of 14 gauge. No chart needed.
I disagree on A class in a boat. Why would you put the highest current drawing amps possible in a boat? Class D all the way in boats, motorcycles and ATV's. Plenty of power and low draw will keep those batteries happy when you want to fire it back up and go home.

I was hoping you'd see this and chime in.
I'll be running four (4) Rockford m282 8" tower speakers (200watt each)
Four (4) 6.5 Rockford marine mids (200 watts each)
And one single 10" or 12" marine sub. ( unsure what brand would be best)

How many amps & what size do you suggest I run?
I was going to get Rockford amps to keep it all the same brand thinking it would probably work better? Or is there a Brett choice like you mentioned above?
What is your thought on that?

Brand of amp doesn't matter as long as you stay out of the flea markets. I'd deal with someone that focuses on marine audio and go from there. I don't keep up with marine stuff so I really don't know what's out there but the install rules are the same. Sounds like you're looking for a pair of 4 channels and a mono amp for the sub....that's pretty simple. Make sure your power wire is of sufficient size for the length of the runs and everything else will fall into place.

Wetsounds definitely. They build true marine grade stuff not automotive audio equipment adapted to marine.

decided im probably going to just run some car amps.
for where ill be mounting them it will remain dry, so from what ive read on a lot of boating stereo threads it seams like a lot of guys run car ones when mounting them where i plan to (up under the dash on the passanger side) so when im not out on the water ill put some damp-rid with them & I may route in a fan of some sort to help circulate air.

my last question tho, Would it be of any benefit to run a capacitor with this system?

Absolutely not. I'm sure there's more than one battery in the system and as long as you run the proper size wire you'll be fine.

Absolutely not. I'm sure there's more than one battery in the system and as long as you run the proper size wire you'll be fine.

perfect, I wasnt sure if it would help or not. I'm very new to stereos so to be honest I'm pretty clueless that's why i have to keep bugging to experts.

as for batteries, yes the boat as 3 batteries

Monoprice has quality cables at reasonable prices. I really like the PDX-V9 for a five channel amplifier. Compact, powerful, and efficient. Might be more than you want to spend for a marine application though (can be had on Amazon for around $420). I don't think I would run anything but a class d amplifier. Probably minimum 8 awg for power and ground both run all the way back to the batteries because I seriously doubt the boat has sufficient grounding to support the amplifier load.

Last edited:
*nx*
Monoprice has quality cables at reasonable prices. I really like the PDX-V9 for a five channel amplifier. Compact, powerful, and efficient. Might be more than you want to spend for a marine application though (can be had on Amazon for around $420). I don't think I would run anything but a class d amplifier. Probably minimum 8 awg for power and ground both run all the way back to the batteries because I seriously doubt the boat has sufficient grounding to support the amplifier load.

yeah i planned on running some pretty heavy duty lines for power and ground, seeings hpw im going to have to run the grounds back to the engine bay to ground it. (guessing about 10' or so runs)

also need to find a new deck/head unit and see if maybe i can power the 4 mids off of that to save on buying another amp.

420 is a bit more then i want to spend one amps, seeings how ill need 2 if not 3 of them.

Back