max boost on stock head gasket?

blackcloud12v

Currently i am running 49 pounds of boost from a BD super B Special turbo on my 12v. I have a stock head gasket with no work done to the internals. I drive the truck hard hitting max boost atleast 5 times a day. I was wondering if i am in danger of blowing the head gasket. A local diesel shop near by said i should be fine as long as i run on #2 only.

95' 12 valve 2WD, Super B Special turbo, Custom Lazer cut DV's, 3k GSK, Diesel Dynamics 80hp injectors, #0 custom fuel plate, 4" turbo back, south bend con OFE

45 is normally the rule of thumb . If you do not exceed what you are seeing presently too often then it will live for a bit. Play it safe for awhile a save a few pennies for studs and o/rings.

45 to 50 is usually safe. I'm running 65psi on a new head and ARP studs with BD twins.

I am running 55-56 psi of boost and 60 psi drive pressure. But its only been a couple weeks now. I don't think its safe to do, but so far it hasnt stopped me! :badidea:

blackcloud12v said:
Currently i am running 49 pounds of boost from a BD super B Special turbo on my 12v. I have a stock head gasket with no work done to the internals. I drive the truck hard hitting max boost atleast 5 times a day. I was wondering if i am in danger of blowing the head gasket. A local diesel shop near by said i should be fine as long as i run on #2 only.

95' 12 valve 2WD, Super B Special turbo, Custom Lazer cut DV's, 3k GSK, Diesel Dynamics 80hp injectors, #0 custom fuel plate, 4" turbo back, south bend con OFE

I blew my head gasket on stock turbo at 35 psi. -no injectors dvs or anything...just 100 plate and afc adjustments. I could hit close to 45 but hardly ever did. One thing is drive pressure...stock charger has more than yours- i'd say anyway. Another thing to consider is a head retorque especially if your truck has high miles...i figured thats why mine blew. I knew a guy that blew up 5 or so turbos in about a 6 month period...like an hx 40 or two...and some other better chargers than that and he's still running on stock head gasket and head bolts if that tells you something

I had the same delema when I installed my turbo so I simply pulled the plate back a tad and adjusted the wastegate a bit and now she runs to around 48 psi. I guess there is some more power there that was left on the table baut at this time I don't have the cash for studs and O rings,more importantly the down time it will take me to install the stuff!!

Joey89 said:
I blew my head gasket on stock turbo at 35 psi. -no injectors dvs or anything...just 100 plate and afc adjustments. I could hit close to 45 but hardly ever did. One thing is drive pressure...stock charger has more than yours- i'd say anyway. Another thing to consider is a head retorque especially if your truck has high miles...i figured thats why mine blew. I knew a guy that blew up 5 or so turbos in about a 6 month period...like an hx 40 or two...and some other better chargers than that and he's still running on stock head gasket and head bolts if that tells you something

I got 120000 miles on mine do you think that it would be a good idea to do the dead retorque?

i got 275k miles on mine and it just blew the other day on a stock turbo.

however, i would talk to dave @bd power or john todd

if you have any concerns they are who you should be talking to.

Im running 65 psi through my twins on a stock head gasket and head bolts. I have actually run the turbos on my 96 and my 98, both at 65 psi and both on stock gasket and bolts. They might just be freak gaskets but they have held great for me so i dont know what to tell people when they ask how much a stock gasket will hold

you know i don't know...if you had the time yea maybe i mean what would it hurt? but 120,000 isn't bad. Like that guy said he's pushing 65 psi with twins through that so i don't know. I don't want to tell you not to cuz than itd probly happen but i don't think its to big of a deal. What size is that charger? Exhaust housing? compressor?

you know i don't know...if you had the time yea maybe i mean what would it hurt? but 120,000 isn't bad. Like that guy said he's pushing 65 psi with twins through that so i don't know. I don't want to tell you not to cuz than itd probly happen but i don't think its to big of a deal. What size is that charger? Exhaust housing? compressor?

The BD turbo is 62/14 i believe

A Super B is a 57mm inducer 65mm turbine and 14cm2 the Super B Special is a 64mm inducer 71mm turbine and 14cm2

Hey BlackCloud how do you like the Super B Special on your 12 valve? Have you ever had any other turbo besides the stocker to compare it to? The reason I ask is I came very close to buying one and decided to go a tad smaller because I did not want the lag associated with a bigger turbo. Hows it run?

just throw the 62/14 out there or the 57/65 or 64/71/14 or any random numbers ncause no one really knows for sure, and if they do they dont know what it will correspond to anyways because the numbers dont correlate with flow, because the super B is an extended tip compressor wheel turbo.

and the turbine housing as well as turbine shape and amount of clip changes everything.

its really a waste of time to look at numbers like that, all you need to konw is that bd fully engineered each turbo that they produce to work to the best of the given engines abilities.

Hey BlackCloud how do you like the Super B Special on your 12 valve? Have you ever had any other turbo besides the stocker to compare it to? The reason I ask is I came very close to buying one and decided to go a tad smaller because I did not want the lag associated with a bigger turbo. Hows it run?

-No this is the only turbo i have had on. It actually runs pretty nice but its a little laggy below 1800rpm. But the top end power that this thing has in unbelieveable and on top of it I bought it brand new in the box w/ downpipe for $1200. and its my daily driver and it runs great

Ya like I said it was the lag that I did not want so I went a bit smaller. I also might be towing a car in the very near future...........

The BD turbo is 62/14 i believe

Okay i see...reason i asked the bigger exhaust housing the less drive pressure (right?) which may cause a head gasket to blow. I don't think I'd worry bout it. Just drive and if it blows then stud it and fire-ring it and be done right?

Easier said than done though...trust me i know

Okay i see...reason i asked the bigger exhaust housing the less drive pressure (right?) which may cause a head gasket to blow. I don't think I'd worry bout it. Just drive and if it blows then stud it and fire-ring it and be done right?

Easier said than done though...trust me i know

Haha very true, much easier said than done... i thought the bigger the exhaust housing the lower the drive pressure because it can match the revolutions of the turbine on a closer ratio

Haha very true, much easier said than done... i thought the bigger the exhaust housing the lower the drive pressure because it can match the revolutions of the turbine on a closer ratio

yea thats what i meant....