Max Hp

POWERSTROKER

why is it that nobody has broken 1000 hp in a powerstroke? cummins and d-max did it, and the d-max is a v8 as well, i know were limited by the hpop but we have dual hpop, big injectors and awsome turbos available so why can't we do it??

because we don't have common rail injection. we have the high pressure oil system which is not as good as the common rail injection.

Its coming, some of the performance shops have been hinting at it all year.

Not enough fuel, although there are a few trucks in the 700-800rwhp range. Double Overtime proved that the engine has a sound design, all you need is a crazy injection system off a 700cid engine =)

I dont think its all a matter of not enough oil, its a matter of getting rid of the oil that has been used in the injector fast enough.*bdh*

^^^^ what he said. Injector recovery time is the hindrance. DI has some SHO hybrid injectors that have some oil mods to aid in recovery time.

Once the upgraded single pumps come out for the 6.0ls ,or a dual kit you will see some 6.0's there I mean look out how much power we have made on 1 stock pump when 2 are avileable then s few will get there pretty quick.

As posted the hindrance is not getting fuel in anymore. Hydraulic shortcomings can be overcome. As a platform the powerstroke has overcome a considerable amount. The next big hurdle is going to be RPM and recovery. There are a few things associated with this, and the rumors are out there than some companies are working on this, or have already solved it, like the SHO injectors and a rumored aftermarket performance 7.3L block.. The powerstroke will still be an expensive platform but I think we will start seeing more 7.3s and 6.0s playing with the real big dogs over the next few years. Only time will tell how hard they can play.

yes the 7.3 is getting commonrail injection, and yes there are high performance blocks being made... some guy is already taking orders for the blocks to try to reduce price...

The PCM will not leave the injectors all the way on at even decent engine rpm.

Simple as that.

Didn't Hypermax make over 1000 hp in their 6.0L ranger?

Oh and if you talk to Ron at Hypermax he will tell you that they can build an injector that will flow enough fuel for 1000hp in a 7.3L.

WOP is running that injector and I know they are making alot of power however I don't think it is 1000hp yet.

SEOHPowerstroke said:
Didn't Hypermax make over 1000 hp in their 6.0L ranger?

Oh and if you talk to Ron at Hypermax he will tell you that they can build an injector that will flow enough fuel for 1000hp in a 7.3L.

WOP is running that injector and I know they are making alot of power however I don't think it is 1000hp yet.

no there isnt enough fuel for 1000 hp...not yet, and prolly never will be with
HEUI injection. WOP is making a lot of power, but prolly around 750.

The HEUI injection system is capable of 1000rwhp. We have more than enough fuel (per injection event) we just don't have enough fuel per time. And that's not the fault of the injection system, but rather the electronics that control it.

Injector "size" or capability equates to how much fuel you can inject on each injection event. And that controls how much torque you can ultimately produce with an engine because it will directly determine the BMEP for that stroke.

So what kind of torque output have wee seen on the 7.3? 1400 or so? Didn't Greg do around that much on his "BD's" ? So that was a ~250cc injector......not exactly a "huge" injector. (Nitrous oxide only bring air to the party, not fuel).

So, we're obviously capable of around 1400ft/lbs of torque with even small injectors as demonstrated by Greg.

Problem is, that's not power. For power you need to deliver not huge shots of fuel per stroke, but lots of fuel per time. Now if you can only do 11,200 injection events per minute (2800rpm 8 injectors) you are extremely handicapped on getting a lot of fuel per time compared to having 15,200 injection events per minute (3800rpm 8 injectors).

At 3800rpm the same injector will inject ~%36 more fuel per minute than it would have at 2800rpm. That's fuel per time, that's horsepower. If you kept the same VE and burn efficiency that's 36% more power all else constant.

Or to simplify, if Greg still made the 1400ft/lbs of torque at 3800 instead of 2800, he would have produced 1012rwhp.....

Same injectors, same torque, same cylinder pressure. Just have to stop progressively turning our injectors off past ~2600rpm is all.

Last edited:
Charles said:
The HEUI injection system is capable of 1000rwhp. We have more than enough fuel (per injection event) we just don't have enough fuel per time. And that's not the fault of the injection system, but rather the electronics that control it.

Sombody should listen to this guy... it is as simple as that.*bdh*

Seems to me that we could do what we need to with a standalone electronics system. The kind of plug and play crap that would fuel past 4500rpms and only cost about 2 grand. Now somebody just needs to build it...

Last edited:
Charles said:
The PCM will not leave the injectors all the way on at even decent engine rpm.

Simple as that.

your so right not even sct gives you full tune ability hopefuly that will change one day.

Rave said:
your so right not even sct gives you full tune ability hopefuly that will change one day.

The flaw is in the design of the electronics. One injector has to fully finish before another one will start it's cycle, and no amount of tuning can change that.

The solution is simple in theory, create an electronics system that can fire each injector independently so you can turn more RPMs without having to cut the pulsewidth back. Somebody just needs to design a stadalone fuel system like the little rice rockets have been using for years and cut the factory tuning right out of the equation.

Am I on the right track here Charles?

i believe i heard about new tuning for our fuel system that will be a stand-alone fuel system and it was gonna run pretty cheap... it was in the "why is the 7.3 weaker??" thread

I heard tell of somebody down in the swamp working on somehting like that...