Mechanical fuel pump comparison/opinions/feedback.....?

Of this nature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETROIT-DIESEL-371-FUEL-PUMP-471-FUEL-PUMP-671-FUEL-PUMP-RIGHT-HAND-5199561-/261159032942?hash=item3cce4a986e:g:Qr8AAMXQ0pNQ~apu&vxp=mtr

A small gear pump, built for diesel fuel, and designed to last a million miles. The old 2 strokes all used them. They made them in different sizes . Internal relief valve dumps back to the inlet of the pump at 65-75 psi.
image_zpshpxxkbcr.jpg

a buddy of mine is using one of these on his puller. seems to work well. i'll get him to post in here.

a buddy of mine is using one of these on his puller. seems to work well. i'll get him to post in here.

03be8a85c4f3791d0365dd55e0cde8a1.jpg

da91f7800ca5c8840d7e2060dd082c89.jpg

9524186a5b3c3a8089bf0d19be9462b9.jpg

$150 gear pump from McMaster Carr with my own drive coupling, I use the Haisley check valves to regulate pressure and a 3 way dump for safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving off the injection pump is a better way to go than the auxiliary drive. The slower you turn the fuel pump the better quality of fuel you get. I know everybody and their brother does it, but that doesn't make it right.

So how do you prime a gear driven pump? Belt ones you can prime with a cordless drill.

Driving off the injection pump is a better way to go than the auxiliary drive. The slower you turn the fuel pump the better quality of fuel you get. I know everybody and their brother does it, but that doesn't make it right.

That's one of those things that I think people would do if they had the parts to do so

I been runnin a mitusa gusher for probably 3 years no problems , mine runs of my second cp3 pulley though .

Fuel up top, water and steering down below.

Parker MGG pumps. same as discussed here. http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152973

Is there room for a setup like that in a truck or will it hit the radiator? The pumps can be had with side ports instead of end ports. That would save some room.

I should get something fine tuned and in production. It seems like there is demand.

If you can get something together that could work with a stock modified cover I'm sure a lot of guys would be interested, including myself.

As far as priming a mechanical pump, the glacier kit uses the factory in tank pumps on Cr's to prime the pump and then shuts it off and allows the mechanical pump to draw fuel through it. This doesn't help those with older trucks though

I like how you have driven it off the injection pump nut do you have a measurement of how far it sticks out from the cover?

To prime my waterman I just loosen the Allen bolt and slide the pump forward and then use a cordless drill to spin the 3/8" hex drive.

Those Detroit pumps may work well I had one apart last year...

What are you guys using to
Supply these mechanic pumps. I have -10 stuff now

i also use the waterman setup .with 12 an supply lines and love it.around 45 to 55 ish psi at idle and usually around 100 floored.also prime mine with cordless drill. wouldent go any other route

Everyone seems like they have issues priming mechanical pumps. I've never experienced those issues. Have you guys tried using a a drain back flapper valve at the tank. Not the cheapest but they have them in different sizes. You can also get a bolt on cog belt pulley setup for a ati dampnr. Try calling a few shops just because its not on a website doesn't mean its not available.

Aviaid single stage pump. Sorry picture is upside down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
Measured a buddies truck, 4" from front cover to fan blade. I have a idea on how to do it without modifying or removing the stock front cover, just need a skinny pump to work with. I have a detroit up in the barn, I need to measure it.

Back