Mechanical Lift pump set up questions

goldenrule

Hi,
I'm new here and sorry in advance if some of my questions have been previously addressed. I did try searching the threads on this subject and still have more questions. I will be calling Glacier as well, but was interested if others had experimented with different set-ups and thought the info might be useful to folks like me that are looking for an alternative to the FASS/Airdog option.

Who is running a mechanical lift pump on a 2nd gen 24valve and how did you set it up? Are you happy you went this route?

I'm looking to rework the fuel system on my 01 6 speed and would like to switch to a Glacier Fuel Boss or similar (Mitusa, Assassin) and add a 2 filter set-up like the CAT or Donaldson. I have a FASS DDRP right now. I am also upgrading to an HTT HTB2/62 turbo, MACH 1.6 injectors, and a Blue Chip FMS as well as other supporting mods.
This is a DD, working, towing truck. I live in the mountains and tow 10k+.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it a good idea to add a Drawstraw or Sump for these LP's? I know the DTT Assassin uses a Drawstraw. Is there a major restriction in the factory pick-up tube? I can't bear to deal with the 1/4 tank = empty problem so need a good option on pick-up. Hate to pull junk from the bottom of the tank, but willing to filter more rather than giving up 20% of my tank.

2. What is the best way to address filtration? Is there a problem pulling the fuel through the 2-3 micron filters? It seems difficult to push the fuel with the mechanical pumps because of where they mount. I did hear some guys had found a good way to do it though and would be interested in details if that's the right way to go.

3. The Glacier uses the factory electric pump at start-up and as a redundant back-up. That seems like a feature to me. Are the 2 lift pumps plumbed in series or parallel? If in series does that create a flow restriction? If in parallel is the stock fuel filter bypassed (or can it be) when the mechanical pump activates?

4. Would it make any sense to have a new, separate, parallel (larger) line all the way to a sump in the tank that has inline dual filters drawn by the mechanical lift as well as the existing stock set up and bring them together with back flow prevention valves before the IP? I'm looking for something reliable and bulletproof. If the mechanical pump's belt breaks, the factory system could take over. If a filter gets plugged the other LP could push fuel. Am I on the right track or missing something obvious?

Would really appreciate constructive input here, especially from those with experience with the mechanical pumps. Thanks for your time!

Just get an airdog 150, it comes with everything you need. And if you cut the draw straw right you don't run out at 1/4 tank.

Posted to compD via my magic four place toaster.

BDP sump. Not sure i'd go for an AD or FASS though.

My ad hasn't skipped a beat, i off road as well. Never had any fuel pickup issues with the draw straw, cant beat the clip together simplicity either.

Schrowang, I know FASS and AD make good pumps, I'm just not interested in going that direction though so no need to pitch them in this thread. I understand that would simplify the install. It's good to hear that set-up is working well for you. I appreciate that a properly installed straw can work and I'm open to that option. Kinda leaning toward the sump but I see pros and cons to both. I've read the threads about straw v sump. I'm not doing any serious 4wheeling with this rig so clearance isn't an issue. One can suck more air, one can suck more debris. I can filter debris. Range is a big deal for me so the sump's got my vote so far. Sounds like either way the factory pick-up will not be adequate for my fueling needs. Is that something everyone agrees on?

AHall, thanks for the tip on BDP, that looks like a good sump. Nice not to have to drop the tank. The drain plug could be either a good or bad thing depending on who's doing the draining.

Anybody out there running the mechanical LP's on a 2nd gen 24v?

Sorry i wasn't trying to be an ass, it just seemed to be a lot more work than worth. By all means pursue it and post up the results.

Also look into a1000 or fuel lab pumps for electric. The DTT seems like a good option for a lower pressure setup that doesn't need massive amounts of fuel. Could plumb in a stock pump for a safety factor. I would recommend an inline filter between the mechanical pump and injection pump.

The fuel boss works really Well and you do not Need the electric pump to prime it using a sump

from phone

No worries, Schrowang, and thanks for following the thread.
Clam, I didn't know the Fuel Boss was self -priming with the sump. That's good info and another plus for the sump route. Thanks! I would like to keep as much of the factory set-up intact and leave it plumbed as a redundant back-up if possible. I want to run new, larger lines for the mech. lift.
AHall, That's exactly what I want to do. But where do you mount it and what type of filter? I was hoping to do a 10 micron/2 micron dual set-up but where do you put something that big up front? Seems like line routing could get pretty roundabout, but maybe not. Would it make sense to put a 10 micron near the tank and a 2 micron between the LP and the IP? I would love to see how others have done this. Specifically which filters and where mounted. Thanks!

A great site for fuel system parts is vulcanperformance.com not sure how much itll help but the have a lot of fittings and line.

You would run a normal dual filter setup similar to airdog on the frame. Mech pump is mounted near the balancer. Aeromotive and waterman make a high pressure small inline to install between the lift pump and inj pump. Fail safe for when things come apart.

Thanks again AHall, gotta love this site! So the LP won't have any trouble pulling through the dual set-up? Trying to push rather than pull if possible, but won't worry about if it doesn't really matter. Would slip in that inline filter though!

I have an assassin, this is my setup, I run two XX filters.

fueldiagram.png

I have an assassin, this is my setup, I run two XX filters.

fueldiagram.png

Do you you have a link to the regulator you used? I purchased the assassin as well but I wanted to use the 1/2" lines from the tank --> dual filter setup --> Assassin --> and to the CP3. Do you know about how much fuel line you used to get to your VP44? Do you plum into the return line or did you run a new line back to the tank?

Do you you have a link to the regulator you used? I purchased the assassin as well but I wanted to use the 1/2" lines from the tank --> dual filter setup --> Assassin --> and to the CP3. Do you know about how much fuel line you used to get to your VP44? Do you plum into the return line or did you run a new line back to the tank?

I used the regulator that came from DTT, you could also use a FASS regulator for more adjustability. http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/fass/FPR-1001.htm

I think i used about 20' of 3/8" with -6AN fittings. I plumbed into the factory return line, it is not required to run a separate return line.