meltdown -- common rail style

The damage is caused from power density and heat release VS time. Nothing more.

Water will slow down the release rate and add capital to your bank account of aluminum hardness VS the time/heat applied to them. Those poor pistons start out with a brinell around 95-100 and some end up in the 60 range after multiple hard runs. Ever see how low the tensile strength and durability drops at 60 brinell? Copper is roughly 40 brinell for a bit of comparison.

The melting wont always begin right away. As the hardness drops from the constant annealing of high cylinder temps the pistons get very easy to crack, break, and/or melt. Thats why the Mahle monotherms are constructed of steel, not aluminum.

The bowl type has nothing to do with the failures. The 03-04 engines are lower power density and have a lower heat release rate. Heat release rate = power levels.

:blahblah1:
Bull, looks as if you need to study diesel injection a little more!
:blahblah1:

Your a riot.
You need to do some homework junior. Maybe then you will be able to keep pistons in that thing.:doh:

The only way to advance timing is to change the open point. More pressure gets more fuel in before TDC but it does not change timing. I see your point but fuel volume before TDC is not timing before TDC.

When you go to bigger injectors you can use less timing but only to a point. You still need time(not timing) for the fuel charge to ignite. The more RPM you turn the more this becomes apparent.

Jeesh, this drug up again.....just look at our common rails, and how they sound compared to say a 12 valve, "mushy" is what I call it...

Take the fuel from the main event, and post event and jam it all during the pilot event, and you want to tell me that this engine won't walk and talk like advanced timing? Yet we haven't changed the initial injection point.

Same quantity of fuel, injected faster = timing as far as I'm concerned.

The draw of the Sigma pump, is the insane rate of fuel over time, you get to a point no matter how advanced you go, you can not get the fuel injected you want in the injection window.

Back